A/C cabin filter install for 96-00 civic! Easy install

bionictony

5+ Year Member
Here's a good mod for the car. I personally installed it and it FITS PERFECTLY! I have a 98 civic. I personally think this is one of the best mods for the car. You get CLEAN air and a CLEANER car. No more driving through dusty areas and having dust fly into your car and maybe into your eyes. haha

There isn't a cabin filter installed at the factory and I don't know why. There is a slot and door for it in the 96-00 civic. I purchased the "Cabin Air Filter frame and seal" from a 1997-2001 CR-V. It holds the cabin air filter. 2002+ CRVs will not work. Purchase a cabin air filter from Honda or an autoparts store. Take out the glove compartment, bar blocking the a/c box, and insert the filter frame. I had to clean out and vacuum my a/c box because there was no filter isntalled before and it was dirty and dusty.

cost
97-01 crv/insight cabin air filter FRAME ($16) and foam seal ($6)
97-01 Bosch cabin air filter ($20). On ebay the cheapest is 12 shipped

Install took 30 minutes because i've taken apart my lower dash to install stuff before. Might take an hour max for a first timer.

Total cost me $45. But you could get it for cheap if you are able to find the frame in the junk yard. The frame should cost about $5 at the junk yard and buy a new filter at the store.

I have no pictures from my car, but it should look similar to this:
http://ifornet.com/hondacrv_acfilter.htm

spoolinem1

All Motor No More Boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
great idea man good stuff just wish i still had a/c lol

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a mod needs to move this to the how to section for interior stuff. nice write up man! does it really make that big of an improvement? I havnt really had any problems so far.

bionictony

5+ Year Member
There is a short write up here: http://ifornet.com/hondacrv_acfilter.htm. It is in a CRV though. It's similar to the civic. It works great for me. I used to have annoying dust blow through the vents after I turn on the fan. People who live in dusty areas will want to do this. I think the cabin filter absorbs odor too, so if I'm behind a smelly car, I won't have to close the recirculation thing.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow. cool mod.

I was wondering about this because ill be driving and BAM! debris in my eye from my AC.

Will have to look into this on a day off from work.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have the honda part number for the cabin filter frame and seal.
80290-ST5-E01: Frame, Seal and Filter ($64.32)

OR

80292-ST3-E01: Frame ($13.21)
80293-ST3-E01: Seal ($8.38)
80291-ST3-515: Filter ($25.28)
Total: ($46.87)

Mehcanic79

5+ Year Member
I just completed this mod. on my 98 civic. it took about 75 minutes, but some of that was just cleaning the radiator/evaporator inside. it looked like a squirrels nest. I used a nylon brush and a shop vac with those small angled brush attachments.

I used a napa filter and put some foam strips on top and bottom. I didn't use a frame and it still fit in snug.

Might I suggest changing the filter often once or twice a year so your airflow doesn't get restricted causing icing of the radiator/evaporator or worse, burn up the compressor.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, the recommended interval is 30k for the cabin air filter, some sooner - depends on where you drive.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've always wanted to do this.

Stupid question but does this make the air coming out of the vents smell any cleaner?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've always wanted to do this.

Stupid question but does this make the air coming out of the vents smell any cleaner?
Somewhat, it's not much so against odor, but it definetly keeps out all the little leaves and bullshit too that would normally get in your eyes. It does help to elimante SOME odors though. I think it cost me like $18 from work and I'd definetly recommend it. I actually saw an INCREASE in airflow after doing this.

Mehcanic79

5+ Year Member
Somewhat, it's not much so against odor, but it definetly keeps out all the little leaves and bullshit too that would normally get in your eyes. It does help to elimante SOME odors though. I think it cost me like $18 from work and I'd definetly recommend it. I actually saw an INCREASE in airflow after doing this.
The only increase you'll see in air flow is if you clean the filter chamber out of debris and dirt and clean the evaporator/radiator out if it's dirty. ANY filter will actually reduce flow somewhat. but you're better off having to change filters than clog the fins in the radiator/evaporator.
(NOTE: the smaller the particle a filter will trap, the faster it will become clogged.)

Odors are caused by bacteria, unless you kill the bacteria you will still have smells. Chemicals and Ultraviolet lights kill bacteria.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
awesome. i've always wondered if there was a way to stop sh!t from flying into my eyes.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is a great idea. i checked the crv way to do it. but i'd like to see how you did it on your civic. if not too much trouble. pics? thanks.

Mehcanic79

5+ Year Member
this is a great idea. i checked the crv way to do it. but i'd like to see how you did it on your civic. if not too much trouble. pics? thanks.
I looked at the CRV walk through, it is, from what I could tell, the same as the civic. If you found anything different I think it wouldn't make any difference. They are extremely similar. No reason to replicate the same thing.