A/C Issues!

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Summer time means more A/C related threads...here's my contribution. lol

94 del Sol. D15b7 (stock), 5spd, chipped P06 ECU tuned by Jay (NastyConasta on DSO.)

When I got the car 3 years ago, the A/C blew cold. No issues the first summer (got it in the winter). Second summer, I literally didnt use it, because it wasnt hot enough for me (I'm a desert rat). This summer, it's not blowing cold.

It's blowing COOL, but not cold. I stuck a thermometer in the dash vents, and in the shade, it's blowing out upper 50 degree temps. In the sun, lower 60's. Here's the thing though...when high way driving, it slowly creeps down to just about the 40 degree mark. This is after about 5-10 miles of highway, though.

Now, I can't really use it around town, because when I come to a stop, the car stalls out on me. When I can use it around town, the air blows between 60 and 70 degrees depending on how long I'm driving.

Yes, the condenser fan works. I can hear it, see it, and feel it.
Yes, the compressor clutch engages. I can see, and hear it. It makes a little 'click' sound when engaging.

Using a PSI gauge from the 'refill' bottles at the parts store, when hooked up to the low (bigger, fatter line) pressure side, it reads around the 40psi mark. This is with the little blue hosed, "interdynamics" hose/kit. I realize this isnt 100% accurate, though...

I can honestly deal with the not so cold air...its still colder than the outside air, with the windows down/top off. I'm more concerned about it stalling on me. I've heard the IACV is the culprit? If so, what about it?

Sorry for the long read...I like to be as thorough as possible to minimize 'try this' posts that I've already covered.

Thanks for any info/help!

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm going through something similar with my car. Just replaced my compressor, car blew ice cold for a few weeks, now it blows cold when it wants. In high heat, it blows muggy/mildly cool.
As far as it stalling it, does the car shake bad before hand? If that's so, it's possible you're low on R134a. Those pressure gauges are never accurate. I would either rent/buy an AC testing kit (comes with a high side line, low side line, neutral line for decompression, a valve block, and a case), as they give really accurate ratings, or take it to a certified AC repair shop (defeats the purpose of repairing this yourself though :P).
Ensure you don't have a leak while you're at it. They have leak kits at AutoZone/O'reily's etc.

RonJ

Banned
Buy, borrow, or rent a R134a manifold gauge set and then do the A/C performance test detailed in the 96-00 Civic service manual. Post the results.

Is the idle/stall problem related to the A/C problem?