a/c not cooling constantly

Kaviq89

5+ Year Member
as the title states my a/c isn'tcooling constantly. i noticed that when i turn my a/c on, it won'tcool until i keep the rpms at 3k for a bit then it will start cooling. also when i'm on idle and the a/c is on, the rpms drop really low and fluctuate from about 200-800, until I turn the a/c off then it goes back to it's normal idle. also the other day it made a loud screeching noise. any suggestions on what it might be??

thanks!

Gunner

Registered VIP
Could be a vacum leak, the idle thing might be normal, i dont know about honda as i have not been able to use my a/c yet...but my wifes xterra does that because it requires more to keep the a/c going, when the idle drops to low the car brings it back up to the right rpms to keep the a/c going. If not blowing all the time could mean you need to recharge it..is the air just not cold and still coming out or is it not blowing out?

Could be the compressor since you said it squealed... another thing is your car overheating at all?

Check the freon level with a manifold gauge while the car is idling. There are two connectors under the hood attached to your A/C's refrigerant system that should be labeled as such, one for the high Psi end of your gauge (the red side) and one for the low end (the blue side). If the level is unbalanced, it will cause the entire air-conditioning system to shut down as a protective measure. If the level is low, you may have a leak that needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Turn on the air conditioner and lift the hood of the car to check the compressor. Many problems can occur because of an old or malfunctioning compressor, which is often diagnosed by the different sounds your car makes. For example, a grinding gear or a sudden screeching sound of metal could indicate a problem with the clutch, while a banging sound near the engine may mean the compressor is wearing out and should be replaced. If the compressor keeps turning on and off, the freon level is at fault. If it doesn't turn properly, the problem may not even be related to the A/C, but the power itself.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the motor idles higher when A/C is on because the compressor and fan require more power. it's normal for it to begin feeling warmer as the car is stopped and the motor is idling because the compressor turns off

RonJ

Banned
as the title states my a/c isn'tcooling constantly. i noticed that when i turn my a/c on, it won'tcool until i keep the rpms at 3k for a bit then it will start cooling. also when i'm on idle and the a/c is on, the rpms drop really low and fluctuate from about 200-800, until I turn the a/c off then it goes back to it's normal idle. also the other day it made a loud screeching noise. any suggestions on what it might be??

thanks!
This is obviously not normal behavior for any A/C system.

What year Civic? Factory or aftermarket A/C system?

1) Screeching noise - Check the A/C belt and make sure it is tight. Also consider replacing it.
2) When you push the A/C button on, does the condenser fan run? Is the condenser clogged with bugs and road debris?

Kaviq89

5+ Year Member
@ Gunner the air blows but it isn't cold and no the car isn't overheating.

@ RonJ it is a 2000 Ex with factory a/c. the condenser fan is clean no debris, it does not turn on when my a/c is in the on position. and all the belts are tight

RonJ

Banned
the condenser fan is clean no debris
You mean condenser, right?

, it does not turn on when my a/c is in the on position. and all the belts are tight
The fan should run when you turn the A/C on, so that's a problem. If you swap the condenser fan relay and compressor clutch relay in the hood fuse box, does the fan now run when the A/C is turned on?

If you connect power and ground wires directly from the battery to the condenser fan, does it run?

Consider replacing the A/C belt.

Gunner

Registered VIP
The vacum thing came from me when this all started, she said it had to be 3k idle when we started talking, but i addressed the other issues in detail when i realized it was not the problem, i should have edited that but i am only really on here when i am at work. Sorry for any confusion.

Kaviq89

5+ Year Member
You mean condenser, right?
yea condenser sorry.

The fan should run when you turn the A/C on, so that's a problem. If you swap the condenser fan relay and compressor clutch relay in the hood fuse box, does the fan now run when the A/C is turned on?
i switched them and still doesn't turn on

If you connect power and ground wires directly from the battery to the condenser fan, does it run?
how would i go about that?

SnoFox4

Most Boring Car
Condenser fan not spinning when the A/C is on?

That's probably the whole problem. When the car is moving air is being pushed through the condenser, allowing it to cool.. but when it's stopped the fan should be running in order to pull air through the condenser.

RonJ

Banned
how would i go about that?
Unplug the condenser fan connector. Install wires (2 about 6-feet in length) to the + and - battery connectors. These are your direct source of power and ground. Touch each wire to the power and ground terminals of the condenser fan. Does it run?