A/C problems, and getting ready to move down south!!!

bgaviator69

1997 Civic EX 2-door:
Problem: The last couple of weeks I would be driving down the highway with my a/c on, and occasionally my a/c would stop blowing cold air, and would just start blowing warmer ambient air. After about a minute or two, the a/c would come back online and would be blowing ice cold air again. Well a few days ago, the cold a/c air stopped after about 10 minutes on the highway, but this time, it never came back.

So not knowing anything about cars I went and bought one of those DIY R-134 kits thinking maybe it just lost it's stuff. Well, I couldn't get the a/c system to even take the r-134. I brought the car over to my step-father who has a set of gauges, and he verified that my system had good pressure and had coolant in it. He then tested the connection that goes to the receiver drier, and there was no power getting to it :???:.....we also swapped relays around and found that those were all good. Now when I press the a/c button on the dash, my RPMs do go up slightly as if there is a load, and they will go down when I disengage the button.

So does this mean I have some type of electrical problem obviously? Will this probably be an expensive fix if I take it to a shop? Thanks for any input.

RonJ

Banned
Have you checked whether the gap between the compressor pulley and armature plate are too wide and need to be re-shimmed?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have you checked whether the gap between the compressor pulley and armature plate are too wide and need to be re-shimmed?
Hey, RonJ. Can you explain that a little? I haven't picked up a FSM for my 2000 Civic yet, and I think I remember you mentioning something about this on another post. Is this procedure covered in the FSM?