A Little Zip!

EGCivic07

5+ Year Member
Im in High School and have had my civic for one year now. Aside from the color (tahitian Green but its really more of a teal color) its a pretty cool car. It is a 92 dx hatchback, auto tranny :x . the engine is non vtech as you all know but I desire more zip without having to swap the engine or buy a new car. Should I just start with an intake, and if so what type and brand, or should I start someplace else? Thanx for any help and/or advice and I apologize in advance if I ask you to explain certain abreviations.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Honestly, your not going to get much zip out of that car without putting a good bit of money into it. Automatic civics are amazingly slow, and standard bolt ons arent going to fix that.

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you just want a little more zip, yeah go buy any ebay intake, The biggest performance gain would be a 5spd of course. I found replacing both my engine and transmission wires improved drivability. you could probly throw a vtec head on it with minimal effort. You could put on a header and exhaust, and a fuel pressure regulator. Mabey even weight reduction *shrug* You could even throw a turbo on it if you wanted to. I think that would be nearing the limit of what you could do on your type of budget. All in all you might squeeze 50 whp out of it. All of these are of course just thoughts for you to toy with. Enjoy.

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your best bet would be a Vtec head swap, without having to swap the tranny.

EGCivic07

5+ Year Member
I am almost afraid to ask as to how much a vtec head would cost. I thought I saw them on ebay for about 400$. Is that about right? Could I really turbo an auto? Im not interested in spending too much $$ on the car as I will be heading off to college. And a tranny swap is definently out of the picture because I hear that its not worth the time to do it. Also, this may not be relevant to this post but when the car is going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd there is an abrupt jerk at low rpms. It is almost like a bang that shakes all of my loose chain I have strewn about the interior. If this is a problem what could it be?

hondacivvtec

Rob
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your 26 and in highschool? And I think you need to research your "vtech" a little more.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I dont think a vtec head swap is going to be in your budget range. No offense, but it doesnt seem like you would be able to do it yourself, and a shop is going to clean you out in labor charges for something like that. Also, for all that money that you would be spending, you'll gain only a few HP.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just buy an intake and call it a day.

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
V-tec head swap, trans swap (it's worth the time), intake, header, exhaust welcome to 15's lol

your best but for

habitat307

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just save yourself the trouble and sell your car. go buy a 5spd hatch and start from there.

Svr_Civic

dont try, dont fail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sell ur car..then buy a 5spd for the same amount u sold urs for..shouldnt be over 2300 for a 5th gen hatchie

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your getting a jerk when your car shifts, your tranny is probably about ready to go. might wanna start looking into something else..

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh s**t...CLASS OF '07 IN THE HOUSE!!!!!! w00t w00t.....and we both have that broke back mountain teal color.....some people at my school say my car looks blue.....but i think they're just sayint hat to make me feel good...lol

EGCivic07

5+ Year Member
yeah I should probably change my info. I was at school when I first did it and was in a hurry. I would sell my car but it only has 64000 miles on it. And when you say tranny swap do you mean auto to manual or just buy a different auto transmission?