a thumping sound when braking

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i noticed on my em1 that when i brake theres a knock or thumping sound what do you think it is? i just got new axles when i installed my function form type 1's but idk if its a ball joint or what? Its only when i lightly push the brake also

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Coming from where: front, back, left, right? It could be a warped rotor or wheel bearings going out

Trekk

Registered VIP
If this started right after you might of left something loose. Bearings tend to growl and wrapped rotors you feel in your foot when pushing the brakes, often times it makes the steering shake also.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Make sure your lug nuts are tight and not loose.

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
checkd the lug nuts there tight, the rotor looks good, the thumping noise is from the front left, and only when i ease the brake, but when i hit a bump there is a clank sound from the front left as well. how can i check if the bearing is bad? and wouldnt the bearings go out about the same time or why the front left and not the front right?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Jack up that side of the car grab the tire by the top and bottom and see if it wiggles. Then grab it from the sides and see it it wiggles. Top and bottom checks bearing, side to side checks the tie rods.

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so its the tie rods the, the top n bottom didint move at all but when i grab it and went side to side it started to move n make noise so then i gotta replace tie rods right? how do i know if its the inner or outer tie rod?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Normally to check them you just put your hand on them while someone wiggles the tire. The inner is under to boots on the rack so you have to squeeze the boot and find the bump in it.