AC compressor clutch sticking only when hot?

SW20FL

5+ Year Member
Hello,

Before I replace the entire compressor, I want to see if I can get any extra insight on this problem. I have a stock '97 Civic DX. AC works well until temperatures get past 85ish degrees.

When I watch the AC compressor cycle on and off, the spinning part (clutch?) will move towards the compressor until it engages and spins with it. However, I notice that when it's hot outside, the spinning part will move closer as if it's trying to engage, and gets stuck. Then if I push it with a screw driver, it will engage, and the AC will work well until it cycles, and it gets stuck again when it tries to re-engage.

I would assume the Is a bad compressor clutch? it possible to replace the AC compressor clutch without discharging the system? Or could it possibly be something else? Thanks guys.

RonJ

Banned
I would assume the Is a bad compressor clutch?
Measure the gap between the clutch armature plate and pulley with a feeler gauge. If the gap is too wide, remove armature plate and replace old shim with a thinner one.

it possible to replace the AC compressor clutch without discharging the system?
Yes. It's a tight space but it can be done if you have the tools and patience.

Or could it possibly be something else?
If the gap is to spec, then the compressor coil may be bad. Measure the resistance of the coil to see whether it's out of spec.