Ac compressor noise

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My ac compressor is super noisy when it's not engaged. Sounds like metal clanking around.

Can the bearings be replaced on them without replacing entire thing? That's assuming it's the bearing

Last edited:

MotorMo

Respected
If you replace them early enough, yes- but the bearings can end up damaging the "snout" of the a/c shaft, if thats the case then you need to replace the entire compressor. Just need some simple hand tools to replace the bearings, including a snap ring pliers set, and feeler gauges. You also would need to "re-shim it" because the clearance spec would now be different (should be in the kit). I like to use two feeler gauges to get the clearance spec right, because the clutch plate can walk, or "lean" to one side if you shove a feeler gauge on one side. Best to put them on opposing sides.If you want to try and save it and not going to fix it right away, I would recommend removing the a/c drive belt so there is no more wear on the bearings.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. Sucks I just had the system refilled a month ago and the weather has been in the 90s.

What if I kept running it with ac on? Since noise goes away when it's engaged. Still cause more damage?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there enough room to service it without removing from the car?

MotorMo

Respected
You should be able to repair it on the car, a little bit of a squeeze but doable. Noise =damage happening. But it's your call. It might make noise like that for 2 years before "failing". Or it might last another day haha. Sucks tho, seems A/C always fails when you need it most on a 100 degree day haha.
Just turn up your radio :hitlol:

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Haha weird yesterday night it didn't make any noise with it disengaged. Ironically I hadn't used my ac in years due to it needing a charge of course it'd happen now lol