ac not working I'm stumped maybe electrical.

blakeshaw1228

Hello. I have a 89 honda civic si hatchback. My ac has never worked since iv had the car and due to having a baby I now need it for summer. I was told the guy I got it from had someone put in the right amount of 134a but haven't checked it cuz when I got the chance my compressor stopped coming on iv tried it when I got the car (about 8 or 9 months ago btw) and the compressor was running so I figured it just ment low on 134a but didn't know much about systems. I'm now learning a bit but I'm stumped. So iv checked the relay and the top right always has 12v and under it goes to compressor the left top gets 12v when I turn on ignition and iv heard directly under that should be ground from inside ac on off switch well it didn't when I would turn on or off it doesn't have anything positive or negative. I'm stumped idk where to go from here. And does anyone have a schematic or something I can see? Also the interior ac on/off switch light stopped working so I'm wandering if that's it and how to cheak it. Thank u

RonJ

Banned
Stock 89 Civic A/C system would have been R12 not R134a.

Does the condenser fan run? Does the compressor clutch engage?

blakeshaw1228

I know sorry I thought I mentioned that it has been converted. And comp. Engages when I bypass relay and no cond.fan does not. I just checked the on off switch as best I could and I have 12v on one wire far left I believe the whole time. But nothing else on the other four not on nor off with or without ignition on and blower on.

RonJ

Banned
1) The condenser fan should run anytime that the compressor clutch is engaged. Check the fan relay and also run power and ground wires directly from the battery to the fan to see whether the fan works.

2) Once you get the fan to work, then hook up a manifold gauge set to measure the high and low side pressures with the A/C on and the engine idling at 1500 rpm. Post the pressure readings, as well as the outside temperature during the test.

3) Make sure the valve for the heater hose is not stuck open.

Attachments

DuckIt

Jumper the low pressure switch on the harness, bypassing it. Let me know if anything happens. Check for power at compressor. As well as at fan. Also, is this car stock obd0, obd1 converted , etc!