ac question still no answered helllp

thambi23

hey im still new to this site am i postin this in the wrong section or wut ??? everytime i turn the ac on my 99 civic ex it make a whistling noise what can this be does it need to be charged

RonJ

Banned
Where is the whistling noise coming from? In the cabin vents or the engine bay? Do you also hear the noise when the vent blower is running without the A/C button pushed?

thambi23

well when i turn the knob to cold air it blows cool air through the vents not cold air them when i press the ac button theres a whistling noise coming from the vents nd then when i press the button to shut it off it goes away

RonJ

Banned
Is the whistling noise coming from the area behind the glove box?

Does the A/C work and cold air comes out the vents despite the whistling noise?

RonJ

Banned
Not sure, maybe there is a problem with the expansion valve for the evaporator.

thambi23

well the air comes out but its not that cold then when i press the ac button the whistling noise comes out from behind the glove box

RonJ

Banned
well the air comes out but its not that cold then when i press the ac button the whistling noise comes out from behind the glove box
Are you saying that the A/C does not work/blow any cold air? If so, hook up a manifold gauge set to the high and low ports to see if there is any refrigerant pressure in the system. If not, all the refrigerant may have leaked out from a hole in the evaporator.

Is the whistling sound affected by the speed (Max vs Low) of the blower?

Last edited:

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
RONJ i know you like to help but is there ever any question that you find your self thinking "WTF did i do in life to have people ask questions like this", not you OP, just in general. Is this a whistle noise exactly or could it also be described as a squeak or squeal?

RonJ

Banned
RONJ i know you like to help but is there ever any question that you find your self thinking "WTF did i do in life to have people ask questions like this", not you OP, just in general
If I feel this way about a question, which is very rare, I simply don't post in the thread.