Advice buying 1999 civic

idkfreddy

5+ Year Member
Just saw this post on craigslist the person is asking $3300 for a 99' civic coupe. I'm going to try and lower the price since it has an awful wing, rims that don't interest me and a sound system I could care less for. It's a 5 speed with 155,000 miles.
Anything I should look for in particular when I go check it out thanks.

*Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
Pics:

SwiftEKtuner

EJ6 Powderpuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks pretty solid..tell em to take the sound system out and lower the price...tell em to take the rims off too and rock steelies lol

mahalo

formerly egninesallday
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check for leaking oil and suspension noises. tell him to keep his wing rims and sound system and sell it for 2k

idkfreddy

5+ Year Member
check for leaking oil and suspension noises. tell him to keep his wing rims and sound system and sell it for 2k
I'll check that out for sure. Any way I can see if the transmission is in good condition? A friend of mine is going to check it out with me since I'm not too good at driving stick

Z3R)

5+ Year Member
is it an SI?? or just the tails?
its people like you thank make me wonder why they bother modding cars. all 99-00 civic coupes came with those taillights not just the Civic Si.

take the rims off the wing and the sound system and lower the price to $2400

idkfreddy

5+ Year Member
Yeah I was going to do that but the owner said he won't part it out. Do you think I should make an offer then sell the rims and sound system?

RonJ

Banned
Find an old lady selling a Civic so that you know the car has not been beaten to hell.

SwiftEKtuner

EJ6 Powderpuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its people like you thank make me wonder why they bother modding cars. all 99-00 civic coupes came with those taillights not just the Civic Si.

well dunno s**t about coupes since i own a sedan...its people like you that make this site unwelcome to some people

jasanp

5+ Year Member
Find an old lady selling a Civic so that you know the car has not been beaten to hell.
:word:

that's your best bet...shop around and don't settle for the first one you see. plus that ones and that great of a deal...i was able to find my friend a clean 99' coupe 5 spd for 3000 with 120k miles from some pregnate lady...FTW!

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
inspect the car. Start off by test driving it. while you drive it test out the transmission, suspension, breaks, and steering. I would also make sure everything electrical is working eg; mirros, lights, sunroof, cruisecontrol, ac, ect.

after the test drive leave it running. inspect everything in the the engine bay while it's on. do not touch anything because you might get burned. listen for abnormalities, like clicks, clacks, and metal to metal noises. look underneath the car for leaks.

idkfreddy

5+ Year Member
haha I know since I live in the L.A county everyone wants to go "fast" in a civic. Too bad you don't see too many old ladies driving a manual civic =p
thanks for the reply

idkfreddy

5+ Year Member
inspect the car. Start off by test driving it. while you drive it test out the transmission, suspension, breaks, and steering. I would also make sure everything electrical is working eg; mirros, lights, sunroof, cruisecontrol, ac, ect.

after the test drive leave it running. inspect everything in the the engine bay while it's on. do not touch anything because you might get burned. listen for abnormalities, like clicks, clacks, and metal to metal noises. look underneath the car for leaks.
Yeah I'll be doing that for sure hopefully the person isn't a butthole about it.

Z3R)

5+ Year Member
well dunno s**t about coupes since i own a sedan...its people like you that make this site unwelcome to some people
you cant expect me to treat you as a car enthusiast if you dont know the basics. most people who dont learn the small detail differences like that dont stay in the game long so i have less patience for something like that. i knew the differences between 96-98 civics and 99-00 civics within a week of owning my car cause i wanted to know all about them.

it funny you say that too cause i barely post as is so i dont think i make anyone feel unwelcome. besides your on the internet. i could have been a d**k and said google it.

if the guy wont sell it without all the crap then pass on the offer. i wouldnt waste my time on it.

idkfreddy

5+ Year Member
The guy posted a new post asking for $2600 now. So hopefully everything goes well I'll keep everyone updated ^__^

kyle97charlie

68% right 100% of th time
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude

if you show up with 2400 hundred cash

and wave 2000 of it in front of his face... he'll take it

if not... wave the 2400 in his face

trust me

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you cant expect me to treat you as a car enthusiast if you dont know the basics. most people who dont learn the small detail differences like that dont stay in the game long so i have less patience for something like that. i knew the differences between 96-98 civics and 99-00 civics within a week of owning my car cause i wanted to know all about them.

it funny you say that too cause i barely post as is so i dont think i make anyone feel unwelcome. besides your on the internet. i could have been a d**k and said google it.

if the guy wont sell it without all the crap then pass on the offer. i wouldnt waste my time on it.
not trying to be a smart ass or anything but also if you looked at the interior shot you would have seen that the windows are manual, hence, not an si or ex for sure
;)