advice on my 00 si

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well, i think i'm at a turning point with this wonderful car. It turned 7 for me and this car this past May and it is starting to show it's age. Some squeeks and other little noises are there that weren't there before now which I chalk up to being "normal". It only has 66,000 on the clock and I still have a remaining 9,000 on the extended warranty which in my original plan was a good investment if I ever choose to sell it later...well later has now come and I need to make a decision to drive it to it's grave, or sell her now while she is still worth a pretty nice down payment on something new.

she is starting to smoke a little at the higher rpms (i'm talking like b/t the 7000-7500 range) and has me a little concerned.

I'm going to my honda mech. to have a look later on, but wanted to feedback on what else he should be checking for at this stage. It's still a bit early for the "big tuneup" (timingbelt, etc etc) but I want to know what else I can do to sort of get that love back into this car.

the pros' that I can think about keeping it are that even with some "major" tuning would still be cheaper then getting something else.

the con's are I just don't have the time to fix her up myself the way I would like to, and can't afford to have it sit in my garage since it is my only car to get to work in.

advise me please!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Fix it and keep it.

You probably just need to replace a few gaskets. Normal maintenance when you get in the higher mileage.

D Grade

NOT Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Smoke at higher rpm's usually equal running rich in most cases, or oil related (leak, rings, etc...)

What color is the smoke? Do you have any fuel mods done? Is your O2 sensor OEM? Any check engine lights?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, I'd sell it. Get a new si. You'd get the most money from your car right now (and you don't want to miss that) since down the road you'll either:

1) have a f**ked up 2000 civic that isn't as much and you'll have less of down payment from selling it

2) drive it to the grave and STILL have less of a down payment (although you would be saving money now), but it'd be inevitable that you'd need a new car.

fakerims

5+ Year Member
if you love the car keep it but if not trade it in or sell it and get a new one

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Smoke at higher rpm's usually equal running rich in most cases, or oil related (leak, rings, etc...)

What color is the smoke? Do you have any fuel mods done? Is your O2 sensor OEM? Any check engine lights?
white smoke, and I've had a suspicion i've been running rich ever since I did my high flow cat and catback, so that could be it (i hope).

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you love the car keep it but if not trade it in or sell it and get a new one
i do love the car. i feel guilty even thinking about parting with it, but change is good right?

unvmy99si

LUCID DREAMIN
5+ Year Member
you don't know how much you will miss it once it is gone unless you have detatched from it already, i love my 99si, wouldn't give her up for anything less than an s15

D Grade

NOT Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
white smoke, and I've had a suspicion i've been running rich ever since I did my high flow cat and catback, so that could be it (i hope).
White smoke = water in the exhaust/cylinders. Check under your oil cap and in your coolant for any sign of oil/coolant mix. Also try pulling the spark plugs and checking for any evidence of coolant in the cylinders. That is a sure sign of a blown headgasket. Do a compression test as well, since blown headgaskets don't always show the oil/coolant mix.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I still stand by what I said above.

But if you're looking to make the most out of your car, sell it. If you want something reliable and cheap to fix (at least cheaper in the long run), fix it and keep it.

Forgiven

5+ Year Member
ONLY 66,000 miles on it . You havn't even broken it in yet....lol
It's really up to you.
But you have plenty of miles before the money you get for it really drops. It should hold it's current value for some miles to come.

Forgiven

5+ Year Member
kbb: for good condition at 66000 is around 10300

Kbb: for good conditoin at 90000 is around 9200

Just to put things into perspective

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
do you really want monthly payments on a new car?? keep the Si if you love it like i love mine. white smoke is typically coolant or oil depending on if it has a bluish haze to it or not. im a little skeptical about a blown head gasket at 66k. my b16 blew piston rings at 116k in the #3 cylinder. do a compression test and see what results you get. if something's blown trade the 1.6 block for a 1.8 with new gaskets/rings/bearings (dont do 2.0 unless you build the block and sleeve it, i learned the hard way). the added displacement will make plenty more torque and power, and the lowered compression of something like a b18b1 will let you run lower octane gas ;) with a fresh block it should last you 150k+ before signs of wear

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn, i'm on 133,000 on mine and just replaced some bushings and whatn0t.

I need new spark plugs though since I have not changed them in a lil over 3 years.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn, i'm on 133,000 on mine and just replaced some bushings and whatn0t.

I need new spark plugs though since I have not changed them in a lil over 3 years.
i had a shitty intake setup that i believe let sand or dirt into the motor killing the rings :roll:

you live, you learn. OEM intake FTW

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
worst case, I was thinking doing the gsr bottom.

well, i did a quick check of fluids and oil level is good, but coolant is almost gone in the reservoir, about 1/2 inch under the MIN level. Radiator is filled, so I got enough till I get it flushed later when I take it in to my mech. to get some honda coolant in it. So it could be that, or just could be that it's been years since I changed out any coolant.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
in that case i guess my vote DOES go towards headgasket. it may not be completely blown yet but its getting there. til you get the problem fixed or the block replaced i would keep the revs like under 7k, make sure there is good oil in it too, probably wouldnt hurt to run a heavier oil too