AEM Cold Air Intake, 98 LX

bpugasmith

I just bought a new AEM cold air intake for my car. AEM makes air intakes that are long and turn down. I was wondering if I could just use one of the pipes instead of both to make it shorter.
Also, is it neccesary to reset the ECU after installing an air intake like the instructions say?

drave

5+ Year Member
Why would you you want to make it shorter? The whole point of buying the CAI is to get colder air, which you'll get from the bumper.

And no, you won't need to reset the ECU since the 96-00 intakes don't even have sensors attached to them.

drave

5+ Year Member
Still wouldn't require you to reset the ECU

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine did. CEL came one after i put on my intake. reset it and it has never come back

bpugasmith

i understnad that im not getting full use out of the CAI if its not able to get cold air, but it what i was wondering is if it would hurt it, because i have a few more things i want to do before i put the full length on, but ive been driving with it like that for almost a week with no problems.

so i dont need to reset my ecu unless the light comes on, because i have no light yet, but if it comes on i will reset it

thanks

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You will have 0 problems by making it a short ram.

Ive never had my light turn on because IAT wasnt connected, technically, its not really connected anyways.