AEM cold air intake

jono237

5+ Year Member
ok guys. I need help from someone who has some experience in this area im not askin for opinions i know what i want i just cant find a pic or vid of anyone showing it. i am basicly stuck between a aem short ram or cold air but i dont want the cold air if the filter is going to be located where the injen cold air is which my buddy has. the location really provides little protection from the elements. this winter was harsh and i know that cant be good for the filter and i dont want to be cleaning it every oil change due to poor placement. it seems like the best place is behind the bumper but i know injen doesnt put theres there, its litteraly laying on the subframe where all the road grime and salt and good stuff can gunk it up so in which case i will go with a short ram for realiabilty.

sorry that was so long guys just need help if anyone has one installed and can help me out thanx i dont want to make a 200+ dollar mistake only to get another intake id rather do it right the first time

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a v2 installed on mine idk if the location of the filter is the same on those
but i drive it in rain without problems and it doesnt get dirty too quickly just as long as you stay away from puddles lol
my filter sits between the bumper and fender well

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my bad just realized you have a 7th gen lol

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd be willing to bet that they'll be in the same location. Most (all) cold airs are.

If you're worried about location, grab a short ram. I saw a study done back in the day between a short ram and a cold air. There was little discernible difference between the two in performance, with the sri even outperforming the cai in some trials.

jono237

5+ Year Member
Im all for cold air but not for repair bills and adding more maintenance nor am i really looking for performance. I know i should only expect 2.5 hp gain with a intake as this months import tuner did dyno many bolt ons to a 6 th gen and if i recall thats what they got and the headers is where they gained the most hp at 5 hp. This is a dd and i by far just want a little more responsiveness but while maintaining reliabilty.

Thanxs guys

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
nor am i really looking for performance.
Im confused now, if you are not looking for performance than why the question about CAI?? And you will not notice any responsiveness from either. Gains are so minimal.

lite

I'd just get a K&n drop in. They are cheaper, quieter, and perform about the same on a stock engine.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Im confused now, if you are not looking for performance than why the question about CAI?? And you will not notice any responsiveness from either. Gains are so minimal.
I totally missed that part about not caring about performance.

If you don't care about performance, you should go on ebay and find a flashy looking intake. It'll perform about the same anyway, but at least you can find one that suits your purpose... which I'm guessing is looks.

jono237

5+ Year Member
I want a aem bc id like to think they know more than me on that topic and at no point will i have my hood open so ppl can see my intake or will i be randomly reving my engine. Im sorry i worded my previous post poorly when i said i wasnt looking for performance i ment i know the gain will be minimal and im not gona go start street racing evos cuz i have a intake and gained 2hp.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you arent going to be opening your hood then you dont NEED to spend the money on an AEM. You can get an ebay knockoff, and throw a K&N filter on it.

ep-hatcher-510

Go away
5+ Year Member
Intakes are such a waste of money, especially name brand ones that claim theirs do more. get a OE KN or similar drop in filter, it will be really close to what the pipe intakes out there will give your car, just without the shiny pipe.

gudoffer

5+ Year Member
i dont know im looking for one myself...if someone used these can reply , it can be helpful

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you arent going to be opening your hood then you dont NEED to spend the money on an AEM. You can get an ebay knockoff, and throw a K&N filter on it.
This is what needs to be done. If nobody is going to be looking at it, there is absolutely NO reason to buy an expensive "flashy" intake (I say flashy... but really, the only flash on an AEM compared to a generic is the AEM sticker.")

Cheap out this time. It's one of a very few times you'll be able to without negative consequences.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You need to find out the diameter of the piping. If it is 64mm, or damn close, then yes it will fit.