AEM Standalone vs vafc vs uberdata

gents97civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 97 ex with a b18c5, and I was wondering which one of these I should go with, my friend is selling the aem and I can get it for a decent price, it is brand new. I have one friend who has a vafc on his prelude and uses it for vtec changover, and to lean his out it helped about 2 tenths in the 1/8th. Uberdata is something new to me, but I have acess to a rom burner. I would need to buy an ecu however. I may turbo my car on down the road, but it would be at least a year, as I would do internals and all. Which setup would be best for me and why.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AFC = junk
EMS = good if you want to tune on your own and need a standalone right now you dont
uberdata = good if you want to tune yourself and know what your doing, its free justneed the rom burner and a chipped ecu

Hondata since you didnt add it, is most likely the best bet for you, unless you know how to tune..... if your going to tune on your own then just go ems or uber depending on how much control you want
uber is just a piggy back like hondata but many have said hondata is better

hondata to tune on your own costs a tad more then ems....

gents97civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd rather not use hondata. I'm pretty good with electronics, and was leaning more towards the aem, or the uberdata. Which would u recommend. Like I said the aem I can get for a decent price and its brand new. I'm selling it for my friend. I think the standalone would be alot easier to work with compared to uberdata, because I would have to get an ecu. What do you think. What would your preference be?

gents97civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vafc just looks cool and is good to change vtec and a fuel curve, but thats about it.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EMS is much harder to use, if your asking which to use I just have a fear you wil blow up your car
i mean yea its good if you need a standalone but unless your going all out for boost hondata works just fine

uber is cool but not as advanced as hondata, people like it becaues its free

hondata is cheap, you dont need a new ecu it just depends what you run the c5 off of now, you do need a obd1 ecu but you sell your stock and get a new one and chipped.. it just depends on what your using now

tell me what your good price is on the EMS... hondata is far cheaper if you want to just hook it up and let someone else tune it

VFAC looks cool ok, if thats all that matters to u then get that
id rather have function

boi-alien

kouki factory.... soon
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've used all three, hondata, uberdata and EMS.

hondata is just the brand name, uberdata can be made to do exactly the same thing that hondata can.. and it's free.

EMS is good because you don't need to constantly burn roms. you can tune on the fly this is a big bonus over both hondata and uberdata where you have to burn roms everytime you want to change something.

at the end of the day, all 3 basically do the same types of things. it's more of a presonal preference. 90% of the guys i know in town that were running hondata have since sold their systems and gone with uberdata as it's a lot more cost effective and it does the same thing.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they dont do the same, ems is a standalone
you can tune on the fly with hondata, i tuned my car on the street
yes to unhook it all and keep what you want you have to reburn the chip

ems is just everything you need in one, hondata you have to buy the extras
which in turn cost more then ems

ive heard good n bad on hondata, some went to it then back to hondata
so who knows