Aftermarket cam gears on stock cams

bmxicansd

5+ Year Member
A Little.. But You Need To Strap It Down On The Dyno.. I Suggest Geting A Fpr, And Smoothing Out The Power Curve

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
is your car completely stock?

afterhrsplayer

5+ Year Member
Wouldn't an adjustable cam gear on a stock cam just make it easier to adjust timing and slightly move the power band?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LULZ

adjustable cam gears only make it easier to advance or retard your timing for tuning purposes( for nitrous, forced induction, cams, etc), while they may increase hp and torque its at a minuscule amount

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You'd get only 5 hp increase at most on stock cams and stock engine setup.... :what:

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the only way to find out if you increase the motor horsepower is put it in the dyno and tune it

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
LULZ

adjustable cam gears only make it easier to advance or retard your timing for tuning purposes( for nitrous, forced induction, cams, etc), while they may increase hp and torque its at a minuscule amount
Its not just for that, mostly what you speak of is ignition timing. Adjustable cam gears are mainly used for dialing out overlap, which is a very small amount of "slack" between the bottom end and the head. Degreeing the cams takes time and experience, and usually with it out of the car will run $5-$600 from a good tuner. I don't have a degree wheel of the necessary tools to do it myself or I would.
Can you gain a few hp by dialing in your cams? Maybe?
Would I buy cam gears for a stock cam? Hell No.

Diabolical EG

5+ Year Member
I also heard that removing your powersteering i'm guessing the belt, you can gain sum hp...is it because you ease the stress on the crankshaft?

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I also heard that removing your powersteering i'm guessing the belt, you can gain sum hp...is it because you ease the stress on the crankshaft?
That is true, and the same when you don't run a/c.

You can get lightened pulleys and free up some power but still run the options.