Aftermarket steering wheels?

Lopez619

Hector
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have been looking into changing out my steering wheel for a racing one with no airbag. Is this a good idea?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have been looking into changing out my steering wheel for a racing one with no airbag. Is this a good idea?
Man I have a MOMO wheel, I will NEVER GO BACK! I love it, the feel the look, I don't know how to explain my love for my wheel compared to the Stock Honda. MAKE SURE YOU GET A REAL wheel though, not some 50 Ebay JOKE. I paid about 350 for mine installed w/out the NRG quick release I have now, which is a great anti theft device, and good if your car gets a lot of sun, take it inside and protect it =)

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Here is the one I have and it installed in my car. Old Picture with out the hub but hope it works for you!

00civicsiturbo

addicted to Boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Unless you have nitrous or are a hard core racer, I wouldn't get one. I have a sparco flash 5 steering wheel and I have no need for it. I would actually like to get the stock steering wheel back. Those things are scary if you don’t have an aftermarket seatbelt harness.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Unless you have nitrous or are a hard core racer, I wouldn't get one. I have a sparco flash 5 steering wheel and I have no need for it. I would actually like to get the stock steering wheel back. Those things are scary if you don’t have an aftermarket seatbelt harness.
I have the stock gray one with airbag if your looking for the stocky. I have Sparco Harness's so I guess I have never seen the problem with them. Guess it is one of those matter of personal preference. Just curious how are they scary? To me it seems to give me a better feel/handle.

00civicsiturbo

addicted to Boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the stock gray one with airbag if your looking for the stocky. I have Sparco Harness's so I guess I have never seen the problem with them. Guess it is one of those matter of personal preference. Just curious how are they scary? To me it seems to give me a better feel/handle.
Is it off your DX? I find it scary because if I were to crash, my whole face would be smashed on the steering wheel. The stock seat belts are not good enough to keep me from hitting the wheel.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ya considering you cant steer without it....

some states its illegal to remove, disable, or in anyway tamper with your airbags so you might want to check into that

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya considering you cant steer without it....
:rolf:

and x2 on the illegal thing. in CA i think its a felony...

look into the s2k steering wheel, it almost looks aftermarket and you still have the airbag.

pm sk8, he has it in his ej

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
and x2 on the illegal thing. in CA i think its a felony...
It might be, but they won't get you for it unless they are REALLY looking to get you for something. When I had my wreck and had my Grant steering wheel on it, they didn't say s**t.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so its dangerous to go without a steering wheel?
Well yeah no wheel would be dangerous lol... I think you meant no air bag. And that is up to personal beliefe. I personally hate air bags. I have seen people get hurt worse with air bags but I can see the point your getting at. As for the law, yes it is illegal and hard to find a shop that will do it because of that. But how much stuff on our car's is legal? Here in CO and most states it is illegal to alter exhaust, suspension, and pretty much anything else so a steering wheel most likely will go with all those other installed items. When I got mine done they put a custom cup holder on the reciept. lol. Again personal Preference.

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why do you have all those gauges?
hes hardcore

i had a MOMO steering wheel in my civic and hated it. my 240 has the stock wheel in it and thats prob how i will keep it. all it does is turn the wheels and the stock one does the job.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
only thing i like about the aftermarket wheels are, you can take them off with a quik release, lil more peice of mind no one is gonna jack your car

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Airbags are for pussies