air compressor making noises

hincho10

I have a 96 civic lx, and I havent turned on the air in a long time but today when I turned it on it was fine until I pressed the gas that the compressor made a noise when I looked under the hood i noticed that when I press the gas the side of the compressor not the belt stops spinning... any ideas on what it could be?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
With the car off, shake the belt. How much tension is there? Too much or not enough? It should have a few millimeters of travel. Not too tight, but not much travel either. Check your other belts to compare. By air compressor, do you mean the AC unit? Does your AC work? Sounds like it's met it's doom. I usually remove my AC anyway, but I suppose you could probably take it out and freshen it up if you don't feel like buying a new one. Or maybe go to the junk yard and find one. I bet there is people selling one on here too for cheap. Lots of people ditchem'.

Good luck!

Spideyman20015

I also have a 1996 Civic and I think I'm having the same problem as you. When I rev up my engine it makes a chain rattling/slight metal grinding sound. I think I've narrowed it down to the clutch in the AC compressor going bad. The A/C is still nice and cold, but the noise gets to me sometimes. It just doesn't sound good, but the mechanic that looked at it while I was having some other work done said not to worry about it. So I guess I will just save up the money and when/if it explodes on me I can quickly replace it.

Can't go without A/C in Florida, you die....