air intake filter without intake pipe?

DOPEYBOY247

5+ Year Member
I was thinking of buying a AEM filter and installing it without the intake pipe, I think it looks kinda cool.

any benefits from this, or would it be the same thing? would it sound better/louder? I have a Ebay short ram intake right now.
thoughts? opinions?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think it looks weird...might as well just put a piece of mesh around the throttle body for an even cleaner look.

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks a little weird O_o. and i think if you have the fuel pump in the stock location, the hose would be in the way.

it would probably sound louder since SRIs are louder than the CAIs because the length is shorter. I guess no pipe = loudest setup next to ITBs

crick_james

5+ Year Member
I think it looks good personally. it may look a little funny on a d16y7 though lol

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks a little weird O_o. and i think if you have the fuel pump in the stock location, the hose would be in the way

it would probably sound louder since SRIs are louder than the CAIs because the length is shorter. I guess no pipe = loudest setup next to ITBs
You mean fuel filter...and no, the hose shouldnt be in the way at all. Its gotta go around the normal intake pipe, dosent it? No reason why it wouldnt fit under the filter.

I think it looks good personally. it may look a little funny on a d16y7 though lol
On a y7 it'd be impossible, unless you cut a hole in the hood. The throttle bodies on y7's face upwards.

I actually ran my B18b1 like that for a few weeks. I had a 5" pipe, then filter. Filter was pushed up against the strut tower RIGHT infront of the battery. It is alittle bit louder than a normal SRI, but with the filter being so close to the engine, its doing nothing but sucking in warm air.

Ethan98civ

heres a question i was thinking kinda the same thing and well .. it i was to take off the airbox and leave the stock tubing and put a after market air fliter would that work or what ?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
heres a question i was thinking kinda the same thing and well .. it i was to take off the airbox and leave the stock tubing and put a after market air fliter would that work or what ?
Nice thread steal, and I don't see why not.

OP: I think it looks clean but it pretty much defeats the purpose of swaping out the stock airbox.

pguff

5+ Year Member
My car was like that when i bought it. I put an ebay SRI on it, and it is definitely louder now. Why not buy the aem filter and put it on your ebay short ram.