alignment, should i ??

GEE-Zus

So I have a set of 205/40/17 on my hatch and I just bought a set of 14 in rims with steelies, and my question is should I have an alignment done when I put on the 14s on it or will I be fine? Also two of them are 185/65/14 and the other two are185/70/14 will that make a difference if I have the alignment ddone?

mark_jdm

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You might wanna. But if you're just keepin the 14s on for a couple of months, then forget it. Coz if you align the 14s, you'll end up aligning again for when you put the 17s back on. Costly. So how long will the 14s be on anyway?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alignment's aren't very expensive, I would.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would, alignments are only like 90 bucks. But you're going from worse to bad. 15s and 16s are going to do the most justice.
And that difference between the sidewalls is okay, just make sure you pair the sizes in front and back. Put the taller sidewalls on the back.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anytime I swap wheels I align the car, especially going from that large to that small. Of course I'm anal, and anytime I adjust my suspension I have it re-aligned too.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Speaking from my experience, on my car with stock suspension, going from 15" wheels in the summer to 14" winter wheels, I've never had to nor had any abnormal wear because of it.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Changing wheel and tire size has zero impact on your alignment. If your alignment is within spec before you change wheels and or tires, it will still give the same read out after you change them. You are only changing your wheels, not making any changes to your suspension.

DuckIt

Changing wheel and tire size has zero impact on your alignment. If your alignment is within spec before you change wheels and or tires, it will still give the same read out after you change them. You are only changing your wheels, not making any changes to your suspension.
This.

If you change wheels and tires and then suddenly get a pull, its the tires, not the alignment.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I guess I'm abusing my free alignments and wasting time?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are only changing your wheels, not making any changes to your suspension.
Exactly.
When I had my 5th gen hatchback, it was lowered and aligned correctly.
I went from 17's to 14's with no issues.
I suppose my points are, regardless if you are lowered or riding on stock suspension, if you are simply swapping wheels and tires, if you're alignment is in check, you don't need to worry about it.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Running two different sidewall sizes will effect the ride height of the car and the caster. Not by much, but it will, even low air pressure will effect alignment.

Trekk

Registered VIP
So I guess I'm abusing my free alignments and wasting time?
Maybe made not, cars sag after, people hit bumps and pot holes so after a while they need to be readjusted. I've never put a car on the rack that was right on the money unless it just had one. Even then I get paid reguardless so i'd rather it be in spec lol.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe made not, cars sag after, people hit bumps and pot holes so after a while they need to be readjusted. I've never put a car on the rack that was right on the money unless it just had one. Even then I get paid reguardless so i'd rather it be in spec lol.
I'm down almost 5" and constantly am dodging items/holes. Hell yesterday I swear I lost my oil pan at first from a dip in a road I hadn't been on in a long time and couldn't avoid.

I used to eat through tires every 4 months b/c my camber/toe was so horrible. After alignments and a 'rear camber kit' I'm not blasting through them but I change my ride height 2-4 times a year so that's why I get them so often.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OP, you should at least get the right size tires for the other 2 wheels. Handling of the car will suffer and if you were to put the larger sidewall tires up front, your speedometer will be off and you'll get pretty bad gas mileage.

DuckIt

Running two different sidewall sizes will effect the ride height of the car and the caster. Not by much, but it will, even low air pressure will effect alignment.
How?

It will not effect caster. Or camber or toe.

DuckIt

Low tire pressure will cause a pull...but its not because the alignments out

Trekk

Registered VIP
How?

It will not effect caster. Or camber or toe.

How?. Running a thicker sidewall in the front or rear of the car will tilt it one way or another. That will increase or decrease caster. Just for fun I added a photo.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get the alignment done if it's been awhile since you have had one.
Generally speaking, switching back and forth between tires, you shouldn't need one.
If you do notice some abnormal, uneven tire wear down the road, then I would look into it again along with worn suspension parts.
Put the higher profile tires in the rear, won't effect you, if at all, and doubt you will even notice.
In the future get matched tires.

GEE-Zus

well the 14s i plan on using for the winter, the 17 im using them for the other three seasons, but my left front tire is really worn down from the outer edges, you can see the little wires sticking out, i have two new tires for the 17s so i plan on getting them mounted and have the alignment done on them.