all amber?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
since one of the common things on a '96-'98 is to replace the taillights for the more unified/clean '99-'00 tails, i was considering doing something a little different and either completely ambering the bottom(that little clear part on the inner light) or swapping the inners with inners from a 99-00 for a 50/50 look. opinions?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
bump for opinions?

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think the 99 centers would look good ;)

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want to just swap the part of the light on the trunk lid it would look alright, just like a 96-98 sedan. However I think the red clear all the way still looks 100x better

2nedhnda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think that if you ambered the entire bottom and did it right, it would probably look really good. It would be different anyhow...

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yea, i like the all amber idea, just cuz it flows well, but i dont know if its fully legal cuz the centers are the back up lights you know? i'll have to check

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HondaSpeedaX said:
yea, i like the all amber idea, just cuz it flows well, but i dont know if its fully legal cuz the centers are the back up lights you know? i'll have to check
It wouldn't be legal but the only way you would ever get in trouble was if you got pulled over backing up which isn't very likely.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
and inspection i would think....cops in VA don't like cars

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah i was thinking about doing something like this as well.. Do you know of anywhere you can get an amber strip? I wanted to amber out the entire top of the tails on my sedan..

2nedhnda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It is definitely not legal, but if you got pulled over for that, someone either hates you real bad, or you just suck at life. In all seriousness though I really cant see you having any problems, even if the cops dont like cars. How often do you think they are looking at your reverse lights to make sure that they are clear???

mule

5+ Year Member
i had thought of doing that a while back, butcan never find the parts for cheap, always expensive because no one will separate (dont blame em for that) and every one wants that look on there ass (most everyone)

EH2 GSR 7232

Dee Dee Dee
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
VA has inspections like every year I think so they would probiably fail you for it.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
eeeevery year. just got mine done yesterday, and yea i'd prolly fail

mugenvtec98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn you stole my idea.. haha i think im going to home depo tonight and picking up some transparent amber paint...

kangaroo

..........UPS.........
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That would look good!!!
ANd it would be different.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i'm bringing this thread back because im re-interested in trying this. my reason being that all amber bottoms would help amber sidemarkers tie in better asthetically. only problem is
VA Administrative Code said:
d. Lens is other than clear
do inspection places look at them THAT strictly? my goal would be that it would look OEM, but i dont wanna paint them if its gonna get them rejected

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It will be illegal to have amber backups plus they'll be much darker making it more difficult to back up. You'll start noticing how often you have to back up in the dark though... because it will be a pain in the ass.

You might even get the luck that a cop out there will notice that your Honda Civic, one of the most popular cars on the road, definitely does not have clear/white backups.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just get seperate inner lights, one set OEM, and one set all Amber. When its inspection time, swap the OEM ones on, and once its inspected, swap back to the amber ones. And as long as your not being a idiot when driving, cops really shouldnt bother you.