Alternator/Belts? Anyone?

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have a couple questions for you guys.
1) For a couple months now i have had some fast-type squeaking noise coming from/around my PS belt. So i took some belt dressing and sprayed it. Soon as i sprayed it, it went away. So i figured it was the power steering belt, replaced it but the noise remains. The noise only comes around once every couple a days. Like mostly in the Morning after the car has been off for awhile, when i go to start it up, i will hear the squeaking/belt noise. But its kinda of wierd because its almost like it fixes itself. When the noise comes, after i drive for a min the noise will get faster as i accelerate, but it will always go away after a min or so. But even when the noise goes away, you can hear a hiss when i step on the accelerator most of the time. So im thinking it could be an alternator or it would have to be another belt. Regardless its annoying and has to go. The kicker is whenever i take it to the dealership to check it out, when they start it, the noise doesnt happen so they dont know whats wrong. But they said the belts and pulleys are fine and show not much wear.

tyl29

Supreme Member
5+ Year Member
i had a whinding noise and it ended up being my alternator but it always was noisy. it only died down when i tuned my ac on.. i ended up having o get a rebuilt alternator.. but if it turns on and off it must be another belt..

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah im thinkin it has to be a belt, its just they told me belts and pulleys are fine. Unless they arent looking, or they just need to be replaced because they are old. But if i already replaced PS i guess i could just try replacing AC belt? But then again when im driving, would the noise escalate/belt spin faster if my ac is off? I

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
its the ac belt then.

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah im thinkin it has to be a belt, its just they told me belts and pulleys are fine. Unless they arent looking, or they just need to be replaced because they are old. But if i already replaced PS i guess i could just try replacing AC belt? But then again when im driving, would the noise escalate/belt spin faster if my ac is off? I
If it's the A/C belt, the noise should escalate if the A/C is on and go away when the A/C is off. This is actually my problem except that I just need to tighten the belt up. It doesn't sound like it's your A/C belt - I would check the alternator and its associated belt. I had a friend who had a similar situation and it turned out to be a burned up alternator in the end.

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah i think its the alternator, because the noise happens regardless of the AC.

speedfoos

5+ Year Member
Exactly. PS pump runs on it's own belt, the AC and alt. share a belt. The reason it goes away as you run the car is that the belt warms up, gets soft again and stops making noise. Replace the belt.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Exactly. PS pump runs on it's own belt, the AC and alt. share a belt. The reason it goes away as you run the car is that the belt warms up, gets soft again and stops making noise. Replace the belt.
Definitely, Happened to my dad's car. cheap belts also contribute to noise.

speedfoos

5+ Year Member
No. You should replace the belt because it's squeaking and it's only like $15. Just because the AC belt shares with the alternator is no reason to replace it.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I sort of have the same issue, I'm going to replace my alternator belt and see if that helps. I know that it needs to be replaced. I have the belt and everything, just need the time to do it and whatn0t