alternator gone bad

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys today my alternator died on me.well the thing is that i know that its the alternator because battery is new and also the starter.well it all started today when i was going to work.when i cranked it to turn on it made this weird noise coming out from the starter.after the third crank it actually turned on.well i get to work fine.i notice my horn sounded very low and weird.also here in miami,its been raining very hard so when i turn on my wipers they were very slow on the fast click of the wiper arm.another thing i notice earlier is that when i click on for the lights it dimed a little.well after i left work i took my mom to do grocery.before i left work it cranked like it did in the morning.well after groceries when i go to crank it,it did the same.well i finally get my mom home.well leaving from my moms house that when it didnt want to start at all.i kept hearing this weird noise coming from the starter.so i saw my friend and i asked him to help me push start it to see if its the starter.well it turned on but the horn you couldnt hardly hear it.the wipers were super slow on the fast click.well i get to my brother-in-law middle school and when i hit a turn near the school my car completely turns off.well i try 3x to push start it but nothing.well this guy in a corola gave me a jump start and it turned on.yeah for 2 miles it worked.then my car just died.i had to get it tolled.i figure since the alternator is not charging up the battery,the battery doesnt have enough amp to send to the starter and thats why it wont start.even if the batttery is charge it would only drive for a while.so guys if u think is something else please pm or if u think is the alternator i realy,realy,realy need one.from what car i could use a alternator.oh yeah i have a b18b1 stroked to a 2.0-"b20"hehe.thanks and please help me with this one :cry:

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well the amount of rain could be the issue. i remember one day my s**t was fine..then the next day it rained its ass off. and then my alt went out. if the battery light is on while the car is running..then its the alt. also while the car is running....dissconnect the negitive terminal on the batt. if the car immediatly shuts off....then its the alt. other than that it could be just a loose ground. check all that stuff and get back to us.

now since you have the B18B1 i would assume...that whatever car that motor came from...is the alt you need. i dont know since i still carry a D series. if you get a new alt...go gto advance auto for it! they have lifetime warrantys..and as long as the "World Class" sticker stays on there....the warranty will be honored at any advance auto parts across america! ive been through three of them in five years. but its not thier alt that is at fault either...my setup was the cullpret sometimes....lol

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Snake_Shit said:
well the amount of rain could be the issue. i remember one day my s**t was fine..then the next day it rained its ass off. and then my alt went out. if the battery light is on while the car is running..then its the alt. also while the car is running....dissconnect the negitive terminal on the batt. if the car immediatly shuts off....then its the alt. other than that it could be just a loose ground. check all that stuff and get back to us.

now since you have the B18B1 i would assume...that whatever car that motor came from...is the alt you need. i dont know since i still carry a D series. if you get a new alt...go gto advance auto for it! they have lifetime warrantys..and as long as the "World Class" sticker stays on there....the warranty will be honored at any advance auto parts across america! ive been through three of them in five years. but its not thier alt that is at fault either...my setup was the cullpret sometimes....lol
thanks im going to try to disconnect the negative on battery.yesterday i couldnt do it cause battery was dead.now that discount autoparts charged it up ill try it.

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DEEGORILLA06 said:
hey guys today my alternator died on me.well the thing is that i know that its the alternator because battery is new and also the starter.well it all started today when i was going to work.when i cranked it to turn on it made this weird noise coming out from the starter.after the third crank it actually turned on.well i get to work fine.i notice my horn sounded very low and weird.also here in miami,its been raining very hard so when i turn on my wipers they were very slow on the fast click of the wiper arm.another thing i notice earlier is that when i click on for the lights it dimed a little.well after i left work i took my mom to do grocery.before i left work it cranked like it did in the morning.well after groceries when i go to crank it,it did the same.well i finally get my mom home.well leaving from my moms house that when it didnt want to start at all.i kept hearing this weird noise coming from the starter.so i saw my friend and i asked him to help me push start it to see if its the starter.well it turned on but the horn you couldnt hardly hear it.the wipers were super slow on the fast click.well i get to my brother-in-law middle school and when i hit a turn near the school my car completely turns off.well i try 3x to push start it but nothing.well this guy in a corola gave me a jump start and it turned on.yeah for 2 miles it worked.then my car just died.i had to get it tolled.i figure since the alternator is not charging up the battery,the battery doesnt have enough amp to send to the starter and thats why it wont start.even if the batttery is charge it would only drive for a while.so guys if u think is something else please pm or if u think is the alternator i realy,realy,realy need one.from what car i could use a alternator.oh yeah i have a b18b1 stroked to a 2.0-"b20"hehe.thanks and please help me with this one :cry:
???????????/any tips?????????????/

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anybody Has A Extra Alternator?????????????from What Car I Could Use????????/i Have A B18b1.

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How to Replace your alternator in 15 minutes
Have you tried to replace your Alternator only to find that it's stuck in the engine
compartment?
Are you tired of removing your master cylinder and bleeding your brakes when you try to
swap your alternator?
Read on....
Tools you will need:
- a Jack and Jackstands
- 1/2" drive breaker bar
- 3/8" or 1/2" drive ratchet
- 1/4" ratchet
- 12mm open ended/box wrench
- 14mm 3/8" or 1/2" socket
- 10mm 1/4" socket
- (possibly) 3/8" - 1/2" adapter
- anti-sieze lubricant
- Torque Wrench
- Prybar
Parts you will need:
- Alternator (new or rebuilt)
- Alternator belt (new)
Safety first: Anytime you are working with electrical components, the first step is to
always "disconnect" the negative post from the battery.
Jack up the front end of your car, and place the Jackstands under the Jack points behind
the front wheels. Do not use a ramp as you need to have
the suspension hanging for this to work.
Open up your hood and remove the upper alternator bolt (12mm) I like to use an open
ended wrench for this task, as a ratchet is usually too
big to squeeze in there.
Next un-plug the harness from the alternator, and take the white wire off of the terminal
(10mm)
Now crawl under your car and undo the lower alternator bolt (14mm) you may need the
breaker bar for this one. Remove the nut and slide the
bolt outta there... Your alternator should now be free, set it on the rear cross-member to
get it out of the way.
Now here's the trick. Remove the bolt on the left side of the bracket, the one that holds it
to the block. Next loosen up the right side bolt on the
same bracket, but don't remove it, now swing the bracket down, thus opening the hole to
get the alt out of the engine compartment.
Now you can slide the alternator out between the axle and suspension. play around for a
little bit, it only will come out one way.
Now, if you don't have A/C you can simply pull the old belt off of the Crankshaft puley,
if you do have A/C, remove that belt first...
instructions on removing that are not within the scope of this article.
Now go ahead and hang your new belt on the Crank pulley. And go ahead and put some
anti-sieze on the threads
of the lower alternator bracket bolts, and snug them up to 33 lb-ft.
Next fish your alternator into place, anti-sieze the lower bolt, and slide it into the
alternator... put the nut on and snug it,
but do not tighten it down yet.
Slide your belt onto the alternator pulley and then go up top to anti-sieze and install the
bolt for the upper bracket.
But before you torque that bolt down, you will be using the prybar to "pry" the alternator
towards the firewall,
what you're doing is putting tension on the belt... While pry-ing tighten down that little
bolt, and torque it to 17 lb-ft.
The belt should have a little play in it, around 1/2" if it has more than that, repeat the
tensioning process until you've got it right.
Now you can go back under your car and torque the lower alternator bolt to 33 lb-ft
Next all you gotta do is plug the harness into the new alternator, and tighten down the
ground cable to 5.79 lb-ft.
Now that you've buttoned everything back up, take your car off the stands and start her
up!

Copy and pasted this from somewhere...I'm doing mine tonight as well :???:
Edit: Just order one from you local parts store for your motor. They will most likely need your bad one for teh core....might as well remove it and compare the parts to make sure they are teh same.

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i did it the old fashion way.i went thru all that trouble to take it out cause i post the thread and nobody helped.now i know the new way thanks to you.but now i want to find a alternator for cheap and good cause discount auto wants $220 with core...i dont know about other members but thats to expensive for me...lol...well i hope i find one... :???:

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn, 220 is hella steep. i paid 210.00 for mine without core. then I got 45.00 back from core. My B16 uses the same exact alt as your motor. I suggest you shop around for a better deal elsewhere. If you can wait a few days, I saw some kick ass deals on ebay.

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i paid 20 bucks for mine :shock: a friend just did a motor swap and gave his to me for $20

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i finally found one and i should recieve it soon.i payed $50 includes shipping.it beats paying $220 from discount autoparts.