Alternator issues

MLC

Hey guys.. So my battery light came on last month after a long trip from out of town during Thanksgiving. Took it to the shop and they said my charge is low. Assuming the alternator was going out. Looked online for days to find a rebuilt one.. (Didn't want to pay a lot for a newer one, but I guess I should have). Took it out of the box yesterday and noticed the pulley was bent. Looks like either the shop dropped it or the UPS guys. Not exactly sure. The pulley turns, but it seems like there's something preventing it from turning correctly. Hard to explain. Inside of it when turned sounds a little off. Again, I don't exactly know how to explain that sound.

So my mechanic friend put it in today (after the car sitting for like 2 weeks) and he told me that I would hear a sound for a while when I start it. That it'll go away after a couple of days while "something something" gets worn in. It sounds absolutely terrible. It's bad enough that I have a grinding noise coming from my engine.. Still looking into that.

I looked up some vids online.. found this one. Exactly the same noise, just a little bit of a higher pitch. Goes away at about 3k RMP but comes back when you stop revving the engine. I called the place and they're replacing it with another one. Hoping that I can get another decent one.. if not, I'll have to go ahead and fork out the cash for a newer one. Question - Is there anything I can do to fix this without having to go to the last resort of buying a new one? Sound sound similar to anyone? Ideas? And is it okay to drive currently until I get the rebuilt one in a few days?

Video here - http://youtu.be/IVRVnCk3r9U

Thanks =)

RonJ

Banned
Not sure why you would ever install a known bad alternator. Just return it for a refund and then buy a replacement somewhere else.