Alternator, random misfire, running lean, and clacking noise

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
Well I think got it done today, I replaced the spark wires, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, anti freeze, and windsheild washer fluid, and last but not least, the alternator. So far, the check engine light is off and its running alot better, but now there is this slight noise when I accelerate or coast at a set speed. I cant make out what it is but it sounds like a clack or pop, and its continually. Any ideas?

RonJ

Banned
It's difficult to guess what the problem is by your description. More information might help. Would you be able to post a video with the sound?

A metallic rattling sound could fit with a loose exhaust heat shield. Pinging sounds while accelerating could suggest that the ignition timing needs adjustment.

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
So I found out what the sound was! Its was a stupid little metal clip that was holding the center console, thankfully nothing from the engine. But I do have some bad news still, the check engine light is back on! As I was driving to work today, the light just turned on. So tomorrow I'll be going back to Auto Zone and have them check it again so that I may get the codes. So till tomorrow thanks Ron!

RonJ

Banned
...But I do have some bad news still, the check engine light is back on! As I was driving to work today, the light just turned on. So tomorrow I'll be going back to Auto Zone and have them check it again so that I may get the codes.
You can pull codes yourself at home. See link below.

Last edited:

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
Alright, I got the codes, the 1st is, P0171, and the second is, P0170. The guy said it may be just the 02 sensor, but theres a list of things it could be.

RonJ

Banned
The two codes mean that the ECU thinks that the engine is running lean (=not enough fuel relative to air in the cylinders). As you say, there are multiple causes. Two that I would start with are replacing the fuel filter (~$20) and checking for a leak in the exhaust system near the primary O2 sensor in the header. By the way, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? Any performance problems?

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have P0171 on now I believe and it's my evap purge solenoid if I'm not mistaken. Because... I don't have one.

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
Well I have a DX and only an intake installed, so I should be getting around 30 something hwy and city, but I probably have about early to mid 20's. As far as performance problems, it still feels like it wants to die, not as much before I replaces what I did but every so often it'll idle somehwhat low and pop back up to normal. There is also a clicking noise when I have the wheel turned either left or right, I think that noise would be my cv joints. Other than that my car is good. Do you think it could be the stupid battery? It wasnt bad maybe 2 months ago, but could it have lost enough juice between then and now?

RonJ

Banned
Low gas mileage could be due to our cold weather here in Texas, so that may not be related to the CEL code. The poor performance, however, could certainly be caused by the engine running lean. Note that running lean is harmful to your engine, so you want to fix this as soon as possible.

An auto parts store can check the battery free of charge. A low battery, however, would not throw code P0171.

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
I'll replace the fuel filter tomorrow or the next day for sure, aswell as the 02 sensor, I dont have the meter or tool to check the voltage. After I do so I'll post some pics of my bay and let you know how its running. How does the cold weather affect the gas mileage? Also, is it difficult to replace either of these two components?

RonJ

Banned
You can buy an adequate digital multimeter for $15-$25. This investment in a tool, which can be used for many purposes for years to come, could same you an enormous amount of money by preventing you from replacing expensive parts unnecessarily.

oldcivic

5+ Year Member
i would check all the fuses with a test light and if they're all good go to a place like harbor frieght or a discount tool store and get a battery test with a load switch , and load test the battery and then start the car and see what it is reading , it should read at least 14 volts , anything less then 12 volts you have a bad alternator

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
You can buy an adequate digital multimeter for $15-$25. This investment in a tool, which can be used for many purposes for years to come, could same you an enormous amount of money by preventing you from replacing expensive parts unnecessarily.
i would check all the fuses with a test light and if they're all good go to a place like harbor frieght or a discount tool store and get a battery test with a load switch , and load test the battery and then start the car and see what it is reading , it should read at least 14 volts , anything less then 12 volts you have a bad alternator
Well both of your advice is quite helpful, and your both correct, instead of spending money on replacements, I'll purchase those tools you both have mentioned. Are what you both called them the correct name?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well both of your advice is quite helpful, and your both correct, instead of spending money on replacements, I'll purchase those tools you both have mentioned. Are what you both called them the correct name?
Yeah, those are the accurate names. You can find them at any auto parts store, or even general hardware stores.