alternator realated issue

cheeesboiger

5+ Year Member
ok so recently i've been getting the battery light even after i charge the battery. i've taken the battery to get charged and tested at autozone and they told me its good and the problem probably lies in the alternator so we tested the system while it was in the car and it was reading only 6.35+- volts and the guy had no idea how the car was still running. well, just when he said that i decided to put some load on the battery and turned on the headlights. as soon as i did that, the car died. so then he chraged up the battery again for a little over an hr and his manager tested it and it was reading 14. something volts but wasn't able to get a proper reading from the alternator so he asked me to rev it to 2000 rpm and hold it for a while then i stopped and he completed the test. the test resulted in the alt cranking only 38 amps. he told me that it should be 60. so the next day, i removed the alternator and took it to autozone as the core for the new one i was about to buy. before i bought the new one i asked if i could test it so he did the test for me and the alt passed. so he told me the alt was good and that like he had told me before, that there was something wrong with the wiring or something. so i didn't buy a new alt after all. instead when i went back to put back the old alt, i checked the harness as good as i could and could find nothing wrong. i only did a physical check up, just touching and feeling. anyway, i put the alt back and waited till this morning to put the recharged battery in just before i went to work. as soon as i turned on the car, the batter light was on. so i get to work and charge my battery. so after work today, i bought a new batt just to see if my batt just can't hold a charge. i was wrong! as soon as i turned the car on with the new batt, the light was on. so i went on my way with the batt light on. well, i was on the freeway and revved up to a little higher than 4000 rpm and the batt light was flickering a little before it went off. it would come on again when i drove at normal rpm. so when i got home a little while ago i decided to do it again while i was in neutral and it did the same thing. so i guess the batt light goes away if i rev high. like almost 5000 rpm. fyi, i don't have an aftermarket sound system. everything is stock and it does the same with or with out load. please help!!!:cry:

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you have a bad alternator - most of the aftermarket remanufactured Honda alternators sold by Autozone, Checker, Advance, etc. are junk - if they aren't bad when you buy it, they will be in just a few weeks - you would be better off buying a used OEM Honda alternator from a junk yard - it will last longer

cheeesboiger

5+ Year Member
yeah a friend of mine pretty much told me the same thing. he told to just get a new one. thanks. so uh, would a napa one be ok? inlinefour.com sells them too starting at $100

cheeesboiger

5+ Year Member
does anyone else have any feedback on this problem?

cheeesboiger

5+ Year Member
the belts are tensioned properly and the fuse is good. i just removed the alt right now and i might go to a pic your part or inlinefour.com to get a new used one.