Alternator?

ProVic

5+ Year Member
when i am turn up to the ACC, there is no flicker. once i turn on the car, everything in the car is flickers(cluster, radio, taillights, headlights.) i believe it is the alternator. i just want to know if this is a common problem this my 97 honda civic. btw i am new here.

SwiftEKtuner

EJ6 Powderpuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
never had this problem in my civic (97 also) :welcome: check your battery terminals and see if there are corroded...if they are clean them.

RonJ

Banned
Start by checking whether 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash is blown. If so, read the fuse 15 TSB in my signature.

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get someone at a dealership to do a battery/starting/charging system check... we do it for free at our dealership..

ProVic

5+ Year Member
so i went to autozone here in california. they told me my battery and alternator are bad.

awesome, people at autozone gave me bad attitude when they tested my battery.
they made me feel like punching them in the face. yay. bad service ftl.
for some reason every time i go into autozone. i always have bad service.

next, i went to Kragens Oreilly. they told me battery is fine. they said it could be the alternator, not 100% sure. they said they notice there were something wrong with the charging system. GO kragens

Also, i checked all of the fuse. none of them are blown.

RonJ

Banned
How did you check 7.5A fuse 15? Click link in my signature to learn proper method.

Is the CEL on?

ProVic

5+ Year Member
sorry for my typo. thanks for catching it.

I do not have a check engine light.

As for the fuse 15. I went under the steering wheel and checked every single fuse to see if any of them were blown... every single of them were still good. when i went under, i thought it was weird to find some of the fuse had a larger amperage than the required on the back of the handle.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry for my typo. thanks for catching it.

I do not have a check engine light.

As for the fuse 15. I went under the steering wheel and checked every single fuse to see if any of them were blown... every single of them were still good. when i went under, i thought it was weird to find some of the fuse had a larger amperage than the required on the back of the handle.
Haha, no problem man, I was just messing with you.

The larger fuses would not cause your issues, but you should replace them as soon as possible with the correct amperage fuses to avoid an electrical fire. Fuses are inexpensive, I just bought a 150 count variety pack with test light and fuse puller included for $8.

Perform this test:

Use a voltmeter to read battery voltage at the following three times:

With the car off
With the car running and all accessories turned off
With the car running, A/C and all accessories, headlights, etc. turned on

Post your results.

Also check that the belt to the alternator is tight and not glazed or frayed.