Amature_Need help installing radio system

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I will start by saying I dont know SQUAT about stereo systems. My car got stolen a while back ago and they took my stereo. So I need help in a few things. The wires and original amp is still intact, so Im assuming I could just plug things in.

My old stereo just had an amp (1200watts), and a subwolfer, with stock speakers all around.

Now I managed to get 2 front speakers (80 watts each), rear speakers (100watts up to 300 watts each), and a got me a new sub (10" [correction its a 12"]). I got everything for $50 bucks.

Anyways, Im going to invest in a stereo next, I need tips in how to purchase it, I want it to be able to bump based on the new speakers I bought.

Also, would I need a fuse box??? My old system didnt have one.

I like diagrams, I forgot civics have 2 tweeters on the front ( should i replaced these?)

anyways, here is the new (used) sub, alpine.

here i installed the front speakers, but there is some space around the speaker, do i need to cover this up?? or can i just leave it?

as for the connections I am assuming I just slide in the originals into the new one??...

Any help will help, thanks in advance.

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
by fuse box do you mean the fuse between the battery and amp and if so then yea it protects your battery and system and yea you can just use the same connections. I would say get the correct sized speakers for the doors or i think you can buy mounts for those if you dont it wont sound right.

newby92

if you are looking for base response from 5.25" speakers your in for a world of hurt. i would highly recommend getting a set of alpine 6.5" components for your front doors. these are the only 6.5's i have ever heard that produce ANY decent amount of bass response. you really shouldnt need alot of front fill with that alpine 10, it is a very nice sub. just out of curiosity what kind of amp are you using that is 1200 watts?

from my experience with car audio you want all of your money spent on the surrounds and amps. the sub isnt as important because an average sub that you overpower will still produce very clean low frequencies. please keep in mind when i say over power i dont mean over volume or over gain.

lets say a sub is rated for 150 rms and 300 peak watts. it is a very good match for a 500 watt class d amp. by always providing the sub with ample amounts of power the motor assembly will never have a problem moving the speaker and you will avoid distortion. on that same note i suggest overpowering the surroung speakers as well but you want quality surrounds as they are the most audible and cheap speakers usually produce cheap sound.

it doesnt cost alot of money to build a very respectable system, it just takes matching all the components so they work well together. the good news is if your just looking for a very loud bass rattling system, that sub can do it! but your surrounds arent up to the task of filling in the other 22 thousand hz of sound the sub cant.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
You will DEFIANTLY, want to replace the tweets, honda did not actually do full component sound, they did sorta a half job where they just filtered stuff out at the tweeters, instead of splitting it with a box, I'm not sure what that means and all, but i have been told that its not as good as true component sound, wich uses a box to filter low and high frequencies to the mid base and tweeter respectively. Anyways, its not too hard to replace, you will probably have to do some molding but its not too bad.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you are looking for base response from 5.25" speakers your in for a world of hurt. i would highly recommend getting a set of alpine 6.5" components for your front doors. these are the only 6.5's i have ever heard that produce ANY decent amount of bass response. you really shouldnt need alot of front fill with that alpine 10, it is a very nice sub. just out of curiosity what kind of amp are you using that is 1200 watts?

from my experience with car audio you want all of your money spent on the surrounds and amps. the sub isnt as important because an average sub that you overpower will still produce very clean low frequencies. please keep in mind when i say over power i dont mean over volume or over gain.

lets say a sub is rated for 150 rms and 300 peak watts. it is a very good match for a 500 watt class d amp. by always providing the sub with ample amounts of power the motor assembly will never have a problem moving the speaker and you will avoid distortion. on that same note i suggest overpowering the surroung speakers as well but you want quality surrounds as they are the most audible and cheap speakers usually produce cheap sound.

it doesnt cost alot of money to build a very respectable system, it just takes matching all the components so they work well together. the good news is if your just looking for a very loud bass rattling system, that sub can do it! but your surrounds arent up to the task of filling in the other 22 thousand hz of sound the sub cant.
Wrong on all accounts :roll:

OP, what is your budget?

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for all the replies!

My budget is $200 bills but the less I spend the better =) but Im willing to spend cash to have it top notch. I hope the speakers I have are enough and I would just have to purchase the stereo along with the fuse box to protect my battery. Ideally I would just want to buy the stereo and call it a day, but I lack the knowledge whether its possible. tweeter, is the last on my list.

* I found a stereo at autozone for $100 bucks but its maximum watt is 200. not sure if this is a good deal. Pioneers and kenwood. They have similar ones at target. Or should i just go to a stereo shop and pick one up there?

**uptdate, I opened up the subwolfer speaker to check it out, its actually a 12" model number SWS-1222D.

The amp I have is Performance Technique which is able to handle 1200 amps.
The front speakers are Xplode, rear are infinity, and the sub is Alpine (just to clarify things) .

newby92

how am i wrong on all accounts? please inform me...

there was absolutely nothing false in post. you should over power speakers to get the clearest sound out of them. and that is wrong??? so your saying you should under power them??? i dont know if you swim in circles or not but chances are you sleep in a helmet.

private message me and inform me on what your idea of good sounding audio is please.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how am i wrong on all accounts? please inform me...

there was absolutely nothing false in post. you should over power speakers to get the clearest sound out of them. and that is wrong??? so your saying you should under power them??? i dont know if you swim in circles or not but chances are you sleep in a helmet.

private message me and inform me on what your idea of good sounding audio is please.
I would also like to know, or at least in what part there is a disagreement.

MSHU37

5+ Year Member
i have brackets for those speakers so theyll fit right... the front ones 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 but you are better off with like an alpine component system, love alpine type r's. regardless if you are interested in a quick fix, theyre yours fo 5+shipping

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have brackets for those speakers so theyll fit right... the front ones 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 but you are better off with like an alpine component system, love alpine type r's. regardless if you are interested in a quick fix, theyre yours fo 5+shipping
Im going to see if I could get a hold of some soon, my buddy frequently buys crashed civics so I usually scavenge the parts I need. And I have been reading more about audio systems and I have stumbled about this alpine type r's, sounds superb.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a good system is key to good sound, 200 u should spend soley on your head unit which would be your stereo. i would say go for an alpine, stay with stock tweeters since you have replaced your mids with aftermarket ones. keep your sub find out the rms wattage on it, and get an amp that would match that wattage if not more. dont go for the max wattage go for RMS wattage. for example if you have a 600 watt rms sub then get a 600+ rms wattage class d mono amp.. it gets a little expensive but is well worth it for a good sound quality, i would recommend going to crutchfield.com and chat to an "expert" and whatever they find for you you could search for it used and cheaper on craigslist or ebay.. just my 2 cents

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In that setup, i would get a better headunit first. Kenwood makes the best bang for buck ones right now. Put that 200 toward a kenwood x994. $176 on amazon right now http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-X994-eXcelon-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B003A4JNIS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300758048&sr=8-3

Next would be speakers. Save up $100 and pick up the phoenix gold rsd65cs http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-RSD6-5CS-Radial-Component-System/dp/B000TBQ8QU

After speakers, get your wiring in check. Do the big 3 in 0 gauge & 4 gauge knu wiring to your amp

After wiring get a 4 channel amp. DO NOT install the speakers until you have an amp to power them. One of the better bang for buck amps out right now are the crescendo audio 1000c4 http://www.crescendoaudio.com/product.php?productid=17516

This will give u 125 x 2 for your speakers + 500 x 1 for a sub or 2.

Next would be a better sub and a custom box. After that, the biggest battery you could fit upfront + some sound deadening

This can be done in stages if you're patient enough

MSHU37

5+ Year Member
In that setup, i would get a better headunit first. Kenwood makes the best bang for buck ones right now. Put that 200 toward a kenwood x994. $176 on amazon right now http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-X994-eXcelon-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B003A4JNIS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300758048&sr=8-3

Next would be speakers. Save up $100 and pick up the phoenix gold rsd65cs http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-RSD6-5CS-Radial-Component-System/dp/B000TBQ8QU

After speakers, get your wiring in check. Do the big 3 in 0 gauge & 4 gauge knu wiring to your amp

After wiring get a 4 channel amp. DO NOT install the speakers until you have an amp to power them. One of the better bang for buck amps out right now are the crescendo audio 1000c4 http://www.crescendoaudio.com/product.php?productid=17516

This will give u 125 x 2 for your speakers + 500 x 1 for a sub or 2.

Next would be a better sub and a custom box. After that, the biggest battery you could fit upfront + some sound deadening

This can be done in stages if you're patient enough

aside from the head unit, the other stuff is pretty no-name...save money and get some good brands, alpine, kenwood, kicker, infinity. none of those are "flea market" just make sure you buy quality stuff. components are nice to have but 2 or 3 ways are cool too. sound deadening adds a ton of weight but works nice so if youre trying to build the car you may want to ponder on that.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
aside from the head unit, the other stuff is pretty no-name...save money and get some good brands, alpine, kenwood, kicker, infinity. none of those are "flea market" just make sure you buy quality stuff. components are nice to have but 2 or 3 ways are cool too. sound deadening adds a ton of weight but works nice so if youre trying to build the car you may want to ponder on that.
:lol::lol:

what "mainstream" brands should he get?

Phoenix gold rsd's are in caraudiomag as the best bang for buck speakers on the market. http://caraudiomag.com/articles/phoenix-gold-rsd-65cs-speaker-review

There's also dozens of reviews if you google.

Crescendo amps are HUGE forum boners of MANY car audio forums. http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/ca/

Educate yourself before making stupid comments.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If u take my advice, you'll have a good sounding setup with a respectable amount of output.

MSHU37

5+ Year Member
:lol::lol:

what "mainstream" brands should he get?

Phoenix gold rsd's are in caraudiomag as the best bang for buck speakers on the market. http://caraudiomag.com/articles/phoenix-gold-rsd-65cs-speaker-review

There's also dozens of reviews if you google.

Crescendo amps are HUGE forum boners of MANY car audio forums. http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/ca/

Educate yourself before making stupid comments.
im sorry im pretty sure listed some :D......car audio forums whattt? ive tried mannnny bs amps, speakers and etc. best bet has always been brand names. cheaping out is bad in every aspect of the car. god forbid my amp ever breaks, ill have a new one in a week because i saved up and bought the nice one and not the "bang for buck"

explore crutchfield.com 's outfit my car, youll be glad you did