And Da Answer Is Torque

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
Ello Peoples CheChe back again "Noob part II Revenge of the Noob" i recently did a thread Mustang Vs. Civic Because i own a Civic and im getting it tuned for racing on a local track where i live i been watchin racing vidz on youtube and the civic was beating everything until it came to the mustangs and cameros so i did the thread to find out why they were killin the civics 'And the answer is torque' Or atleast thats what i got from the thread so my question is is there anyway to increase a civics torque? what could be done? or is it all depending on engine?

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes. The last bit you said.

Forced induction, boring out your cylinders for more displacement, or a swap are the only ways to gain any real, usable power.

Not to be a wet blanket, but Civics aren't designed for out-and-out drag racing. I don't mean to kill any enthusiasm, just to re-direct it. Civics are small, lightweight cars. Any application of power to the wheels--in just about any Civic you'll ever see--relies on these principles. Power to weight ratio comes to mind.

Really though, before you start modifying your car in any way, it's a really wise decision to check your car for any mechanical defects and ensure all regular maintenance has been caught up on it. Ever noticed a freshly broken down, fast-looking car on the highway, streets, or track? You probably don't want to be that guy, too.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
LOL! wet blanket nice touch and thnx for dat info although im more of and import guy i have to admitt the mustang is beast on drags i just saw it beat a viper and a corvette i think my civic will be good in a race but not drag from what im learning that was never the purpose for a civic just wish deres was supin i culd do ::(

NIKE H34D

Slow and Loving It
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You could youtube a geo metro and find videos of it beating a corvette OP..... With the right amount of money you can do anything.

And there are plenty of people on the site who drag their civics. Its just you want a 800HP beast civic for cheap and that doesn't happen........ You have a 98 EX correct? look into boost read up on boost, learn all you would ever need to know. Then build your car and take it to track. Its not all about competition.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
This discussion could have happened in the off-topic thread.....

If you are wondering about "increasing your torque" you first need to learn how your car works dude. I have been telling you this since thread 1 of 3 you have created on this matter. Go to howstuffworks.com and start reading. Engine work requires A LOT of knowledge, something that...no offense....you clearly dont have about cars. Im not calling you stupid in any way. But you dont know anything about cars, and its obvious. You REALLY need to take several months and learn how s**t works. You cant build a drag car....especially a CIVIC drag car, by asking non-stop questions on forums. Find friends or family who know about cars, ask when they are doing their next project....whether it be an oil change or an engine swap....and tell them you want to help. You really need to start getting out there and LEARNING. And the best way to learn is to research and to learn by doing. If along the way you experience something, and you cant find your answer...by all means come and ask. But you arent going to learn anything with the rate you are at.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
This discussion could have happened in the off-topic thread.....

If you are wondering about "increasing your torque" you first need to learn how your car works dude. I have been telling you this since thread 1 of 3 you have created on this matter. Go to howstuffworks.com and start reading. Engine work requires A LOT of knowledge, something that...no offense....you clearly dont have about cars. Im not calling you stupid in any way. But you dont know anything about cars, and its obvious. You REALLY need to take several months and learn how s**t works. You cant build a drag car....especially a CIVIC drag car, by asking non-stop questions on forums. Find friends or family who know about cars, ask when they are doing their next project....whether it be an oil change or an engine swap....and tell them you want to help. You really need to start getting out there and LEARNING. And the best way to learn is to research and to learn by doing. If along the way you experience something, and you cant find your answer...by all means come and ask. But you arent going to learn anything with the rate you are at.
I know im not stupid cars are cars im in surgery but I do know some things but sumtimes what u may think you know to a science isnt what actually is basically in biology people make thoeries which can be proven true but then someone else can come along with a better thoery and then that one is the true or the right one im dumbing myself down cause im not afraid to be humble people tend to help you more when your not acting like a know it all or better than the rest i have enjoyed your replies and yes i am going to learn more as i really need to i found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230400520020&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT how to rebuiled b series engines anything else anyone know of that could help me learn more about cars?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
That would be a GREAT book to purchase and read.....along with a Haynes manual. Im not trying to insult or slander you in any way. But there are SOOO many different pieces of information out there. I personally know how an engine works.....not nearly as well as other members on here, but I do know the components of an engine and how they work. Knowing at least this will help you understand many of the questions you have already asked. There are also MANY other things that need to be known inside and out before attempting to build your own engine. Im also not trying to dissuade you from participating on the site. We want new members to get on here, discuss, and learn.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
thnx 4 da support and knowledge my next goal is a break from forum learn and post pic of the car =) thnx everyone for da knowledge promise ill put it to good use

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I respect you for 1) not having a mechanical background yet showing interest in learning [that's 100% me, too] and 2) publicly acknowledging that you're interested in learning.

The guys above this post had it right; now that you're interested, start with the basics: howsuffworks.com, Wikipedia, several of the older forums (honda-tech and hondaswap have good technical articles) including this site, and don't forget to learn as much as you can from local people you meet and know.

And as mentioned above, you don't just go to the drag strip/track to outright win, you can also go to just have a good time and learn. Learn about what you can do with your car and what others have done with theirs. I know that's why I did, and I can't wait to be back in a few weeks. Chances are I'm not going to be adding any muscle cars to my kill list, but I'll be having a blast.

In fact, the best direction for you to head now is to figure out exactly what kind of engine you have in your '96 EX-trim USDM Civic and what it's capable of (Wikipedia is a good resource, used best in conjunction with opening your hood and looking). Then head to howstuffworks.com to brush up on internal combustion engines. Don't bother with the eBay book; do what I just recommended and you'll quickly see why.

And have fun while you're doing it! ;)

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thnx 4 da support and knowledge my next goal is a break from forum learn and post pic of the car =) thnx everyone for da knowledge promise ill put it to good use
I like where you're heading :thumbs up

But please, when you post of the forums, use at a minimum. semi-correct grammar.. I know it's not in the rules, however, it makes you sound... unintelligent, if you will. Not saying you are at all unintelligent, don't take that the wrong way... the fact that you're willing to learn shows you're already in the right direction...

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hope he never has to do surgery on a real person!

Good luck building your drag civic!

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Hey, just wanted to put my 2cents in and some knowledge.

That mustang in the video from you last vid did a 9 second 1/4 mile.

However, Civic's are capable of high 7 second 1/4 mile times. First person they say broke the 7 second time was, of course, Stephen Papadakis. But that's not really fair, considering he did that in a tube-frame "Civic" with an NSX engine.
First person to break into 7's was actually a girl by the name of Stephanie Eggum with a full-frame B16 Turbo Powered EK Coupe. Look her up and look up her build.

Also, the way to win a race is not just through torque. Torque is just a slice of the equation. You need torque to get off the line, HP to stay going once you're moving, and the right powerband (gear ratios) to full utilize your Torque and HP.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You also need driver skill. If you dont have that, nothing else will matter at all. Once you pick the car you wish to build for dragging.....start taking it to the drag strip from the start to get practice in.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here is one thing you guys may be missing. Go out, take the car apart, remember how i did it, and then put it back together. getting hands on can help A LOT. also just search stuff. Use honda-tech, clubcivic, and GOOGLE. any question you need to ask. the answer is already out there somewhere. im 18 and knew nothing about cars and now on my own can take it apart and put it back togther. I also have a good understanding of how things work. im still learning some motor stuff, but only because i havent had the money to afford parts to give me a reason to take it apart

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
here is one thing you guys may be missing. Go out, take the car apart, remember how i did it, and then put it back together. getting hands on can help A LOT.
That is poor advice. I totally agree that getting hands on is a GREAT way to learn. But "remembering how you took it apart" isnt the answer to putting things back together. Im no engine expert, but I could probably tear one apart. Putting it back together is a different story. There are certain sealants you need to use on some parts. Certain lubricants on other parts. A specific order that things need to be torqued down. It just doesnt work the way you describe. If you believe it does then go tear your engine apart, put it back together just the way you took it apart, and come back to let us know when you start leaking s**t everywhere or need certain parts machined because you didnt lubricate them properly.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol ok. it doesnt go quite like that, but you wont learn if you dont do it. i agree that its a bad idea to take a engine apart if you have no knowledge at all, but if you have a basic understanding you could. Just take your time, triple check, and check again. What you dont know, google; but for things such as interior, body, and minor workk such as intake, exhaust, valve covers, cooling system, and such you can. It hasnt failed me yet with my power door swap, wire tuck, and many other things, but i also research before i jump into it so i have a understanding of whats being done. Dont take a motor apart, before you can even figure out something as simple as taking the VC off. that sounds better?

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ I think the problem is that sometimes people don't understand how to use Google or Wikipedia.

They are simply starting points to help you narrow down your searches and get a broad overview of a subject. The moment you start using them as if they were the gospel truth is the moment you drastically increase your chances of ingesting unverified, poorly-monitored information.

Search engines, message boards, webpages, ect. should serve as a beginning reference tool, not an end-all. That's what service manuals and books are for. The rest is made up in experience, which comes little by little.