annoying oil leak =/

KyleEJ8

5+ Year Member
well i seem to leak oil just a little bit periodically and all near the bottom of my motor is covered in oil its not my valve cover gasket i just go that replaced im thinking maybe a leaky head gasket?

RonJ

Banned
The head gasket is an unlikely cause. Clean the oil from the engine, watch where the oil first begins to appear, and then try to trace its source upward. Remember the effects of gravity -- seeing oil on the bottom of the engine does not mean the leak cannot be coming from higher up. The most common sources of oil leaks are the distributor O-ring, VTEC solenoid/pressure switch, valve cover gasket, oil pressure switch, and oil pan. Any of these is pretty easy to fix.

RonJ

Banned
Rear main seal-and it's not easy to fix.:cool:
OP: This would be the last item to consider as it is less common and a leak from the oil pan, distributor, or VTEC solenoid can seem to come from the weep hole between the engine and transmission. Rule out the simple causes first.

KyleEJ8

5+ Year Member
well like i said only a little leak is left on my drive way and it is also only sometimes that it leaks, im guessing its just somthing small really cuz i mean my car runs just fine

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it isn't coming from where RonJ suggested, It could be your oil pump too. Mine is leaking :-(

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree, take your car to a car wash, spray the crap out of the block, get some engine clean, and clean that beast.... Top and bottom... Then see if you can trace it down a bit better. Next thing to do is see if it is from the drivers side or passenger side... If drivers, could be crank or cam seal (always good and cheap to replace when doing timing belt) if passenger then pretty much anything listed above.. And either side could be valve cover or oil pan gasket... Worst case there is a die out there you can buy and use a UV light..... GL

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also you said your car runs fine, which is good but that has nothing to do with the leak.. Not to be rude by any means just saying... again GL