Another civic starting problem.

BseriesEG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well bought a car for 600 bux a weeke ago. It was runs good. its a 95LX d15 16valve. only has 113,000 miles on it. thought id do a plug,wire ,cap, rotor and oil change since its probably never been done. some plugs were a little seized but they all eventually came out. everything was done last night and i started it up and let it run for lil, started up without any hesitation then i backed it out and parked. went out this morning started it up fine and drove up the street and after about an 8th of mile it shut off. Any thoughts? it cranks fine and sounds like its firing corret. a fouled plug maybe? i used ngk plugs before and never had a problem. the gaps were all good from ngk aswell. never had a problem with anything on it at all. what could i check to cancel things out first?

Jabes

5+ Year Member
if you take out the plug and hook one wire up to it and put the plug on metal while you have a friend crank it are you getting spark?

BseriesEG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just remembered i didnt hook up the ground from motor to the rad support. but im not at my car its at my house. could that of done this?

Jabes

5+ Year Member
that could do it because that ground wire grounds the head

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
well bought a car for 600 bux a weeke ago. It was runs good. its a 95LX d15 16valve. only has 113,000 miles on it. thought id do a plug,wire ,cap, rotor and oil change since its probably never been done. some plugs were a little seized but they all eventually came out. everything was done last night and i started it up and let it run for lil, started up without any hesitation then i backed it out and parked. went out this morning started it up fine and drove up the street and after about an 8th of mile it shut off. Any thoughts? it cranks fine and sounds like its firing corret. a fouled plug maybe? i used ngk plugs before and never had a problem. the gaps were all good from ngk aswell. never had a problem with anything on it at all. what could i check to cancel things out first?
Sounds like you will need a new distributor.... I had this VERY same problem with my 1994... the car sat for almost 2 years; and 2 people before me put on an after market distributor cap (one of those clear ones, and cracked it) I drove about a mile down the road and then :Silence: to a rolling stop on the side of the road... even worse when I almost didn't make it to my wedding because of it... :S . Anyways... so I REALLY suggest looking into the distributor.

The engine would crank, starter would go... and all four plugs would spark; but wouldn't spark when connected. Distributor...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moved to Engine Tech ;)

BseriesEG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its weird though its started up fine last night and it even idled for abou 15 mins. then this morning it started up perfect and as soon as i went to go up a hill it died and just shut down. it couldnt be the ground?

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
its weird though its started up fine last night and it even idled for abou 15 mins. then this morning it started up perfect and as soon as i went to go up a hill it died and just shut down. it couldnt be the ground?
Just put the ground on... if it continues; it's the distributor. My car would start and idle... then I would drive off and BAM... nothing. If you find that it starts up only when it wants to; then look into the distributor.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That ground is required for normal operation. Any bad grounds can cause problems, make sure the three main grounds (tranny, t-stat, motor) are all attached properly

Dice316

xplod3r is right when i 1st got my 93 coupe with a 99 d16y7 in it, it started and worked but from time to time would randomly shut off not to mention for a good week it didnt start at all n i changed spark plugs and everything ended up taking it to a honda dealer (stupid me) and they charged me over $500 just to change out about 4 wires and re-wrap them with sume electric tape cuz they said the ground wires were not sending the power (i cant belive i just admited to paying that much for that >.>)

- - - - ALSO check your ECU becuase i just put a new one in (p28) and somtimes the car starts and somtimes it dosn't when it dosn't i have to unplug the ecu for 3 seconds and plug it back in then the car turns on ....idk why the ecu is used but was taken rite out of a 95 ex unchiped so go figure =/)

Vitaliy93

sounds like the coil died in the distributor.. ask me how i know. Dont get a whole new distributor cause thats expensive.. just get the coil.

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
well how do you know? what causes this?
corrosion, decay... the natural thing of life where things break down "If anything can happen WILL happen"

It's usually caused by a leak in the gasket, or the screws have cracked the cover.

sounds like the coil died in the distributor.. ask me how i know. Dont get a whole new distributor cause thats expensive.. just get the coil.
AGREED it's EXPENSIVE!!!!! worth it! but expensive.