Another Idle problem arose... again.

See-Tee-R

So two weeks ago, I had an idle problem. (I dont have a tachometer, so I dont know exactly how many RPMS) Basically the idle went up and down as if I was holding down the gas and letting go continuously. A Check engine light popped up and I got the code, It happened to be a IACV. So I cleaned my IACV, everything worked perfectly, fixed the idle problem, and CEL went away.

Heres the bad news... So I find out that I'm leaking oil under my distributor, and research tells me that it is my dizzy leaking the oil. So I mark the dizzy with a screw driver, remove it, change the o-ring but in the process I accidentally flipped the fin (part that goes into camshaft) so basically I figured that since it can only go in 1 way, I switched it into position and put it back in (Is it possible that the turning of the fin can affect my idle?). Lined up my bolts for the dizzy and tightened everything up. I tried to start the car, and no crank, turned out to be a dead battery, so I replace the battery, and now it starts.

The problem is that the idle problem is back, and worse than before. What is the problem now? Vacuum leak? IACV AGAIN? Dizzy? That fin inside the dizzy? timing? battery?

Car: 2000 Civic DX Hatchback
Engine: D16Y7
Transmission: Automatic

Please help me out asap, this car is my daily driver, and Im pretty lost without it. If all else fails, Im gonna have to bring it into the dealership :(

lownslow

5+ Year Member
im pretty positive it would only run good one way...if it was completely oposite it would either run aweful or not at all...you know right away if its oposite.

d-it-up99-kade

check ALLL vacum hoses and the fin shouldnt have that big of an impact on your idle. look behind your intake manifold for a vacuum hose check and make sure itis plugged up. also check all your air valves ( IACV, PCV, FITV) and any vacuum hoses that you can find. most of the vacuum hoses are on or around your intake manifold so check there (if you have a fluctuating idle it is most likely a vacuum leak) i had this same problem for a while back in the day and was stumped just like you but then i found out it was a vacuum hose haahaha good luck man

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take off intake and plug up the hole that goes into the iacv with your finger...if idling slows and returns to normal it is not a vacuum leak.

Bleed your coolant. (this makes sure your coolant has no air bubbles which also causes idle problems)

If you have cleaned your iacv already and it still persists it may be that you have a bad iacv and might need to get a new one.

See-Tee-R

Alright, Well a lot of people telling me it is vacuum lines, Assuming it is a vacuum leak. How do I fix it?

I will also try to bleed my coolant.

As for my IACV going bad, I doubt thats the problem because the idle problem went away once I cleaned the IACV and the throttle body. The problem only re-arose when I f**ked with the dizzy trying to replace my o-ring.

See-Tee-R

Okay Guys weird problem!

So today my Check Engine Light popped up, I checked my code, and it popped up 14, the IACV. Strange because I just cleaned it, along with the throttle body. Now heres where it gets even trickier. I unplug the fuse for FI E/M and the backup radio fuse to reset the ECU and guess what... No idle surging..... Could this fix be temporary? any ideas? Im stumped.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you have cleaned your iacv already and it still persists it may be that you have a bad iacv and might need to get a new one.

well without the ecu telling you whats wrong it may stop but as soon as your ecu is plugged back in it will read something wrong and tell you that that is what is going on.
I really dont know about that that much, you may have to wait for someone else to shed some light on this

See-Tee-R

Im gonna probably replace my iacv tomorrow, to see if that goes away.

Now theres a new problem.... My brake pedal is extremely stiff, and the stopping power is not very strong. Could this be the brake booster?