Another stupid thread of mine: Speed trap warning

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does anyone actually use it? You know? Like when someone flashes his highbeam at you couple times at a time to warn you there's a speed trap ahead? I have just experienced that.

I was heading downhill. 35mph speed limit. Normally, I don't gas and just let the car roll, and it stays at 40mph. As always, I didn't gas and let the car roll. Well, this family van in the opposite direction started flashing his lights. I didn't think of it much at first. But then he kept flashing, twice at a time. So I started to wonder why because there were no cars in front of him at all. Maybe he was testing his lights? Maybe he was bored? Maybe he was being an idiot? I quickly remember one of the threads on here about people flashing you to signal you speed trap ahead. So I turned my head and stare straight ahead and slammed my brakes (still not sure why I slammed my brakes since I was at maybe 39-40mph) and quickly located the cop with his radar gun. He lowered his gun when I got to about 60 feet from him and I was like "s**t, I am toasted." Passed by him (or her) and luckily the cop didn't come after me. But I thought that was cool that people warn you when speed trap is ahead. :cool:

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HAHA....I can't believe people don't know about that. Not making fun of you, but even family and friends of mine haven't known what that meant until I tell them....

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most people around here are nice enough to warn you of a speedtrap. i normally do it. once i was doing 10 over the speed limit and some lady in a truck flashed her lights at me, so i slowed down. i wasnt sure why she flashed her lights at me, but sure enough, when i topped the hill there were 3 state troopers waiting. i gave them a slight nod of the head, and they just stared a hole thru me as i drove by.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I thought everyone knew about the flashing of the lights? I do it all the time around town/on the highway. I dont flash my heads because they can be seen from behind you, i usually do it with my fogs..

I wouldnt get caught doing it though..

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never experienced this in the city but on the highway its a totally different story. Highway drivers tend to be more courteous so warning people of an oncoming speed trap is not uncommon.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol I knew to do this when I was a little kid. People know to do that in my town since they know cops are crawling around every f**king block, especially at night.

I've done this to cops before too. Accidentally of course. I can't tell what's what at night until I'm literally a few car lengths away or passing them. Someone once told me cops can/will pull you over for doing that because it's illegal or something? Never found out if it was true or not. Was years ago.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, its illegal even if a cop watches you do it because you are taking a cop out of their ticket and preventing them from doing their job.(obviously people dont care)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's retarded :???:.... Oh well. I've done it to plenty of cops and I guess I've gotten lucky.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dyce590 said:
yea, its illegal even if a cop watches you do it because you are taking a cop out of their ticket and preventing them from doing their job.(obviously people dont care)
no it's not.

Flashing somebody with your high beams is illegal, but shutting your lights off and on a couple times gets the message across.Flashing your 4-ways also works to slow people down.

But there is no way that signalling another driver about a speedtrap is illegal.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so thats why people constantly flash their high beams at me on the i10... i had no idea

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just stick my head out the window and scream "slow down theres a f**king cop up there"

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have never done it, and it's never been done to me. i know it happens, but i've never seen it.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
no it's not.

Flashing somebody with your high beams is illegal, but shutting your lights off and on a couple times gets the message across.Flashing your 4-ways also works to slow people down.

But there is no way that signalling another driver about a speedtrap is illegal.
yea i meant the high beams. sorry if what i posted before was misleading

SPONSOREDCRX

Rockin the zc single cam
5+ Year Member
i just had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago. i was driving down the highway and a semi came over the hill and started flashing his high beams at me. i had my high beams on at the time so i turned them off then thought about it. there is a 20 foot median seperating the highway so i know he/she wasnt flashing cause of that, sure enough as i got to the top of the hill my radar detector starts saying POP. luckily i wasnt in a hurry to get home that night.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
people in CA rarely do this ... only on 2 lane highways do you really see it.

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I only do if it I see someone that looks like they would benefit from it.

Like if I'm on the interstate and I see some cops, and like a mile down the road some Camaro is coming head on and I know he probably wants to get mad dorifto and burn rubber with his LS1, I'll flash my lights to let them know.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea cops will pull you over if they see you flashing other cars near a speed trap. sometimes they even have a hidden cop to watch for this and get double the cars lol. i would flash my front turn signal but never the hi beam during the day. its not worth getting in trouble for.