any ideas??

elmcb

So my girlfriend has a 2000 civic with the 1.6l and auto. About 6 months ago she paid someone to put a new head on it. About 2 months ago she took it back to have front and rear main seals replaced. The other day the oil light comes on. Nothing registering on the dip stick and I traced the leak to the head gasket. She takes it back again and this time is told the block must be warped. Of course the guy insists its nothing he did or didn't do and pretty much refuses to touch it without more money. Anyway she continues to use the car and tops it off with oil every time. So the other day we're riding and it just starts raising cane tappin and clunking and wanting to stall. Checked the oil again and find plenty on the stick. Managed to get back home somehow with the noise and stalling out. And it lacked any effort to move. This engine has been pretty much rebuilt except for the pistons and rings.

So 1st question: how likely is it that the block is warped and that this guy actually did everything like he was supposed to? I'm thinking not, just my opinion.

2nd question: any ideas to what is causing the knocking and stalling? I'm thinking it may have jumped time on the belt although I haven't had the time to check. And yes the belt has been replaced at the time with the head.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does it have a CEL?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So my girlfriend has a 2000 civic with the 1.6l and auto. About 6 months ago she paid someone to put a new head on it.
When you say "new" was it really brand new or just used but new to you?
Why did she need to get a new head put on to begin with?
The car could have gotten hot, and the damage could have been done then. The block could have already been warped when the "new" head and gasket was put on.