any of you running no thermostat?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just wondering if me taking out my thermostat will help my overheating problem. im in fl, i dont need it to warm up faster. ive bled it many times. the fan will turn on as normal when im bleeding it but two weeks or so, it will overheat and be empty of coolant. no muddy oil. the fan works, ive changed the radiator, im annoyed. thanks.

1HondaParts

5+ Year Member
Have you checked the the radiator cap to see if its old or broken?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the radiator i bought new came with a new radiator cap, it looks to be in good shape

Spankege

Do you see a puddle of coolant like it's leaking? It might just leak at a certain pressure my del sol did that and you can smell the coolant when it hits the header so you should know if it's a leak or not.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i park my car after a long trip it doesnt leak, it doesnt leak on the bottom or anything either.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it leaks under a load probably. you could have a small hole in one of the hoses, or a leak elsewhere. running without a thermostat won't help you. finding the leak will

radracer

5+ Year Member
buy a pressure tester and check for leaks , go over all your hoses , if its a pin hole leak it will mist and burn off then you wont see a puddle anywhere, if your over heating and u changed your rad and cap , its usually good idea to replace the thermostat as well ......... any car that i ever wokred on that had overheated i always changed the stat on it , as well as what ever caused the overheating

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks for all the advice but i still want the first question answered. someone must have taken it out. i took mine out just a min ago to see what happens. ill pressure test it soon w a thermostat in.

radracer

5+ Year Member
your welcome for the advice , but why not just look inot the problem why its over heating first before u just take the stat out and run with out it , the engine is designed to run with it in there , taking it out just "band -aids" the problem rather than fixing it .... if its over heating its for a reason that you have to diagnose and repair properly to prevent costly engine damage , who knows you have a hot spot in the block somewhere due to improper bleeding or a start to a bad head gasket , i would just get a new stat wether it be a stock one or one that opens at a lower temp , and see if it over heats after that ... work smart not harder ..... if you gonna do all the work in taking the stat out for good just put a new one in there

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Billy. already answered your first question. Running without it won't solve your problem. Think about it...

If you are overheating then the coolant is hot. T-stat opens when hot. How will taking it out be any different than it being open constantly?

Are you sure the T-stat even works? You said you replaced the radiator, did you replace the T-stat? One that is stuck shut will cause a vehicle to overheat.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you guys are giving me great advice. but i didnt ask on how to fix my overheat problem. im simply just asking if anyone is running their car with no thermostat.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
actually you did ask if no thermostat would fix your overheating problem...

just wondering if me taking out my thermostat will help my overheating problem. im in fl, i dont need it to warm up faster. ive bled it many times. the fan will turn on as normal when im bleeding it but two weeks or so, it will overheat and be empty of coolant. no muddy oil. the fan works, ive changed the radiator, im annoyed. thanks.

radracer

5+ Year Member
it seems like your just bent on taking out the stat to see if it will elminate ur overheat PROBLEM but you wont look into fixing it the proper way .... in not wanting to sound like a jerk but take it out if that what u wanna do see what happens ... all i can say , all cars were designed to have the stat installed in the engines in working condition , running it without being in there can just cause a snoball effect in who know what direction ........

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what f***ing advantage do you get from running no themostat
None and it will actually hurt gas mileage very considerably because the ecu would think the car is always "warming up".