Any Suggestions of where my Trunk leaking from

Boricuapr_1

5+ Year Member
Well i bought this 98 Civic EX before a deployment, got back and want to do a couple of things to it but i have a leak in the trunk and is driving me crazy :evil:, i already bought a brand new trunk rubber seal that cost me about $50, and i've been trying some silicon in the area that i thought might it been the problem, theres no rust in the area or any signs of punctures or wreckage and im running out of options to prevent the leakage, any comments are more than welcome and ill be trying almost anything that is suggested
Thanks in advance for all the inputs or ideas :idea:

im going to try to upload some pictures, never done it so hopefully comes ok

General area of the Problem

Side View

Bottom View

Silicon Area

Water Spot

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WTF is up? Mine has the same problem on the driver's side. I guess water can pool there or something. The previous owner siliconed the s**t out of it, and it still leaks. I been debating on JB welding that spot. I've got a hand towel shut in there at the moment to prevent any more damage to the stuff in my trunk. If anybody knows how to straighten that area out, I'd sure like to know.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
**last time i post this same solution** 2 people n a garden hose. one person in the trunk with it closed and a flashlight if its dark. 2nd person outside hosing the trunk down. person 1 finds the leak and tells #2. then 1 n 2 fix it

Arcane Hayter

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How have people fixed it in the past? Bondo, JB Weld?

ToddDaniels

5+ Year Member
i have this problem too, but my back seat on the passenger side is also getting wet, and the pool of water in the trunk is closer to the far end of it, where you open it, and its weird that it would be in 2 spots, cause its not the WHOLE trunk, but its only wet on the passenger back seat and the trunk. any ideas? im going to look again to see if i can find anything

Arcane Hayter

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, we got so much rain one weekend that when I drove my car on Monday I hit the brakes and two gallons of water flowed out from under the rear seat into the rear floorboard. As soon as the weather clears up a bit I'm going to hit mine with JB Weld, the silicone on there now completely failed.

12PSIcivic1996

5+ Year Member
same things happened with my car, it pisses me of... mainly cuz the subs in the back, the box gets damp as hell, do the 2 people thing tho like the other one said. its pretty basic!

emstaks

5+ Year Member
this cant be possible my trunk f^&%kin leaks in the same spot! the rear pass side like in these pics wtf??? need answers!!!

Avion

5+ Year Member
My 99 EX also leaks in the drivers side of the trunk. Along the side top canals, there is a seam on both sides of the trunk. Honda seems they tack welded then used a Bondo or some sort of filler. This filler gets a hairline crack then the water starts dripping in. It is not the trunk seal failing! I have tried doing a quick fix and using body paint to fill the crack, but it lasts only afew months. Resealing correctly and repainting the area is the correct fix.
To verify this is your problem folllow these simple instructions. Get your garden, take off the sprayer if any, turn on with a low flow. Open the trunk, starting near the rear fender lens, carefully pour the water outside the trunk seal canal. SLOWLY move the hose higher along the outside giving ample time for any leaks to show up. Look for leaks at the same time. Mine starts leaking once I start wetting the painted Bondo area. This Bondo area starts about 3/4 up the sides of the trunk and goes all the way up to the rear glass. A crack anywhere in this filler will let water in. Remember where you see the drip might not be near the leak but it is where the hose water was touching is where the leak is. Water will run on incline edges for inches before dripping. Repair as needed.

bionictony

5+ Year Member
my 91 civic had trunk moisture problems. does your car have a sunroof? make sure the 4 lines are not clogged. there are lines in the a pillar and c pillars. next, take the tail light out and use silicone sealant on the black gaskets to seal the lights when installed. this fixed my problem. also check the roof seams. they're the two rain gutters on the civic roofs. there are rubber strips that you have to remove and look at the seam to see if there are any cracks. my 98 civic lx never had any leak problems in the trunk. have your cars ever been in an accident?

isubliminall

5+ Year Member
did everyone solve their problems? im having the same problem as the pics and im siliconing the s**t outta my trunk

GC11090

5+ Year Member
I have been having this problem for ever now on the driver side. I have replaced trunk seal, tail light seals, and siliconed the edge. Does anyone know if this can be caused by the rear window seal?

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine leaked behind the bumper on the sides, there's a grommet for the sun roof drain lines and
water would get in around the grommets, one each side.
Remove the trunk carpet lining on the sides and you'll see them, I put a little silicone around
them and fixed the problem.:cool:

640mgt

i just noticed all the water in my car ,i have water comming from behind the rubber insulation mat on the firewalland it is running all the way back to the rear seat pans i also have water seeping in the trunk it seems like it is running in from the gas filler drain or the seem, i was wondering if there are drains up at the winshield that may be plugged

isubliminall

5+ Year Member
it could it even be that the water came in your trunk and went to the front of the car when you drove it