Anyone Familiar With Passing Emissions?

Sean Price

5+ Year Member
FUDGE..

broke as a joke...

it took me 5 years to save enuff loot to FINALLY register and title the car in my own name.. ben driving it with the 1997 plate sticker on it..since well 1997.. $200 bucks later at the DMV the car is NOW mine on paper, legit and legal to drive now, finally after 5 years..

but d@m if the madness doesn't stop there.. NOW the DMV (b4 sending my new plates and stickers) making me take my newly registered vehicle in for an emissions test..

Here's my problem, the piece that connects the muffler to the engine of the car has fallen off, rusted out is my guess... Not sure what its called but connected to the mufler is a long pipe that goes to the engine but right before it goes up in and dissappears in the engine, THATS the piece that fell off..

hope that makes sense..

NOW my car sounds like a muthaflippin HARLEY DAVIDSON.. fo reals, it can be heard blocks away, and now all the punk kids in mustangs and ish try to RACE me at every d@m light..

I have to take it to emissions before 2/10/12

1. will it pass emissions like this?

2. what will or can they say to me?

3. SHEEEIT, how do I fix it?

yo the ish sounds rough man, real hardcore like it has a cobra mustang v8 in it or something and runs even rougher, I'm guessin my gas mileage dropped off too..

i have surfed the internet trying to find some info but not really getting much..

ANY and ALL help is appreciated..

thanks in advance

peace

oNe

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it rusted off beat bet is to take the car to a muffler shop and get new piping fabbed up for you. If you fix just that spot your gonna run into more problems down the line.

SoJ1Ro

just sit back and enjoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do u mean the headers? or catalytic converter? that sucks, GL with your emissions tests.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
which part on this drawing is missing?

it's unlikely you;ll pass emissions with a broken exhaust.

there could also be problems with sound level restrictions

Sean Price

5+ Year Member
sorry gents, been working OVERTIME to save up $$$, i have $300 now!!

Ok, took the car to 3 different shops for estimate, so I don't think they are trying to rip me off, but it does seem like its a bit much for whats needed..

all 3 shops quoted me around the $300 range..

the piece thats missing is the pipe that connects from the canister to the muffler(S-shaped) but the shops are sayin that due to a previous hack job on the current muffler that it all needs to be replaced..

roughly speaking:

$150 for the S pipe
$150 for the new muffle and installation of it all..

I have a 10am appt for manana, but what do you all think?

its a 2000 Honda Civic EX Sedan with 106,000 miles on it.

The piece that missing is basically the pipe that connects from #11 to #13 in the pic above...

Emmisions was extended fror 30 days so I now have until 3/10/12 to pass them..

I do my own oil changes and whatnot but not really a car guy as I don't have the tools, space, or know how..

but let me know whats up!!

any and all HELP appreciated!!

oNe

p.s. there is a yellow check engine light on, which I imagine that is related to the busted exhaust, will that go away automatically with this fix?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
p.s. there is a yellow check engine light on, which I imagine that is related to the busted exhaust, will that go away automatically with this fix?
It is very likely, but there's no guarantee that's the problem. You can either go to a local parts store with an obd2 scanner and they can pull the code for you, or you can wait and have the exhaust fixed, and see if it goes away. About your only choices. lol

Sean Price

5+ Year Member
$300 later the car is WHISPER quiet, i'm talkin RC car type of noise now.. its good 2 be able to use the radio now and to actually hear whats goin on in the streets,, its a whole nother world again..

d@m only problem is, the homie Young above was right.. the CEL is STILL ON... gat d@mmit!! I'ma see bout takin it to autozone manana and see whats up..

$300 and i still might nOT pass emmissions...

wish me luck!

oNe

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Run the code, heres a link from RonJ's sig u can do it yourself. If your local autozone can't
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557
I know in cali they wont smog you if you have the cel on so if it's the same there then ye you will fail.

Also if you think it had to do with that for some reason then just clear the code by pulling your under hood 7.5A backup fuse for like 10 min then plug it back in and start up the car. If it stays off then your good.