Anyone have D2 coilovers?

jvictim

I'm thinking about buying a set of D2 full coilovers that I can get for $600 brand new.
Anyone have these? Or ever have these? Opinions?

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
well i dont have em but i rode in a car with them and it was nice. Also considering the price i say go for it anywhere i look its 1k plus 600 is a steal just on that alone would make me grab em.

jvictim

Yeah i'm going to go for it, i've never had any first hand experience with them but with a price like that for full coilovers I can't turn it down.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've got a set in my 91, they're hard as a rock. I mean, 70 mph on freeway ramps with 14" tires is fun till the rubber starts rolling over, but Michigan roads are terrible. Ba-BANG.. ba-BANG.. ba-BANG on the freeway lol

jvictim

I've got a set in my 91, they're hard as a rock. I mean, 70 mph on freeway ramps with 14" tires is fun till the rubber starts rolling over, but Michigan roads are terrible. Ba-BANG.. ba-BANG.. ba-BANG on the freeway lol
How low do you have it? Slammed real low or a small drop?

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
You'd be a lot better off with a name brand. I've seen pictures of snapped shock rods on d2s and ksports.

Koni SRT is probably the best shock for the money, and at around $330 for those and $300 for ground control coilovers you'd be a lot happier and have a lifetime warranty.

Progress CS-II are also reliable and a good company.

Function and form are about the same price and it's also a good company and much more reliable than the powerdcoated kinds from korea like D2.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How low do you have it? Slammed real low or a small drop?
Not really slammed. One finger gap in front, two in the back. I run OEM mud flaps all the way around.

jvictim

I've read some reviews it seems more are bad than good. Glad the sale fell through.
I have been looking at some Ground Control sleeves. Will they work with stock shocks for a while at least?

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, I've read lots of good things about F&Fs, and they're only like $525. My D2's have never given me a problem over the 70k miles I've put on them, but go for something more forgiving. I'm going to when I can.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've read some reviews it seems more are bad than good. Glad the sale fell through.
I have been looking at some Ground Control sleeves. Will they work with stock shocks for a while at least?
Some say yes, some say no. You should be able to ask that question before you buy them. If the seller can't tell you, find another seller lol

jvictim

I can see function and forms are highly respected on this site. it almost seems cheaper to just buy the f&f's instead of ground control sleeves and some new shocks which i was thinking about.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm thinking about buying a set of D2 full coilovers that I can get for $600 brand new.
Anyone have these? Or ever have these? Opinions?
Junk. I'd never buy them. There's a reason I've never seen ANYONE in the AutoX community use them lol. The ones who may are either new or are just out there for fun and not seriously competitive.

You'd be a lot better off with a name brand. I've seen pictures of snapped shock rods on d2s and ksports.

Koni SRT is probably the best shock for the money, and at around $330 for those and $300 for ground control coilovers you'd be a lot happier and have a lifetime warranty.

Progress CS-II are also reliable and a good company.

Function and form are about the same price and it's also a good company and much more reliable than the powerdcoated kinds from korea like D2.
Agree for the most part. I believe F&F is manufactured by the same company who does D2, KSport and Megan. Again, I've never seen F&F products on serious race applications and for good reason I'm sure.

Ground-Controls have proven themselves time and time again. They CAN work with stock shocks IF you use the correct spring rates and have an appropriate drop. The great thing about GC is they carry just about any spring rate you want. You can easily order new springs with that come with higher rates if/when you upgrade to aftermarket shocks.

I can see function and forms are highly respected on this site. it almost seems cheaper to just buy the f&f's instead of ground control sleeves and some new shocks which i was thinking about.
I don't understand why it's so highly respected... Maybe because they're cheap and dump the car like it's broken? You should stick to the GC's and find some good shocks to match the spring rates you choose...

jvictim

civexspeedy, thanks. Either ground controls or skunk2 sleeves are my top choices right now. If I choose skunk2 sleeves I'll get skunk2 sport shocks to match. But for ground controls I don't know sh** about spring rates. I'd have no idea how to match the stock rate. If I bought some tokico shocks or something would I just find out the spring rate on those and get gc sleeves to match that?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What kind of ride are you looking for? Just street driven or would you be doing anything like autox/track? How low do you want to go? What's you budget?

The Skunk2 setup might be a bit harsh for you if you're just looking for a comfortable ride and decent stance. Yeah they can go pretty low but if you aren't slamming your car they aren't worth it IMO.

As for matching springs and shocks, there are limits to every shock on what spring rates they can handle. Also, with non-adjustable shocks there is kind of a range of springs rates you would want to use and then would not want to use. With adjustable shocks you have a little more room to play with spring rates as you can change the dampening to match the rates. I'll use Tokico as an example since you mentioned them. The Tokico HP(blues) are essentially an OE replacement shock. They can't handle super high spring rates and aren't meant to be slammed on. For those shocks I'd recommend any spring rate from stock(165in/lbs front for your car) to no more than ~350in/lbs all around. Now obviously if you pick a lower spring rate that's closer to stock, the ride will most likely be the best(unless you're slammed). As you go up in spring rates, the ride will become a little more harsh. There will be a point, most likely past ~350in/lbs springs, that the shocks just wont be able to do their job and you'll be bouncing around and the shocks will pre-maturely wear out. For better handling yet still retain a smooth, controllable ride I would suggest rates right around 250-300in/lbs and to not be slammed. Now for an adjustable shock like the Tokico Illumina, you have a wider range of spring rates to play with. Since these shocks are more aggressive, you can run anything as low as stock(165in/lbs) to as high as about 500in/lb springs and everything inbetween. As with the HP's, there is kind of an optimal range for comfort and handling, probably around the 350-400in/lb range. With these, you can go pretty low but probably not dumped to the ground if you want them to last and actually make use of your suspension.Since these are adjustable, you kind of need to play around with the settings to get it right. You don't want to set the shocks all the way down if you have stiff springs as they'll be under dampened and pre-maturely blow and you also don't want them too stiff if you have softer springs as you're not letting the shocks work to their fullest potential and offer a smoother ride.

I think a lot of people overlook this kind of thing when choosing their suspension. Seems like a lot of people just want to be able to dump their car to the ground and that's it. Well there's more to it than that if you want to make your suspension last and especially if you want to make use of the suspension on roads/tracks. Some combinations you don't want to do and some work best together. IE: Skunk2 shocks with Tien S.Techs wont be ideal as the Skunk2 shocks are valved to work with much higher spring rates...

Answer the questions above and I might be able to point you in a better direction.

jvictim

What kind of ride are you looking for? Just street driven or would you be doing anything like autox/track? How low do you want to go? What's you budget?

The Skunk2 setup might be a bit harsh for you if you're just looking for a comfortable ride and decent stance. Yeah they can go pretty low but if you aren't slamming your car they aren't worth it IMO.

As for matching springs and shocks, there are limits to every shock on what spring rates they can handle. Also, with non-adjustable shocks there is kind of a range of springs rates you would want to use and then would not want to use. With adjustable shocks you have a little more room to play with spring rates as you can change the dampening to match the rates. I'll use Tokico as an example since you mentioned them. The Tokico HP(blues) are essentially an OE replacement shock. They can't handle super high spring rates and aren't meant to be slammed on. For those shocks I'd recommend any spring rate from stock(165in/lbs front for your car) to no more than ~350in/lbs all around. Now obviously if you pick a lower spring rate that's closer to stock, the ride will most likely be the best(unless you're slammed). As you go up in spring rates, the ride will become a little more harsh. There will be a point, most likely past ~350in/lbs springs, that the shocks just wont be able to do their job and you'll be bouncing around and the shocks will pre-maturely wear out. For better handling yet still retain a smooth, controllable ride I would suggest rates right around 250-300in/lbs and to not be slammed. Now for an adjustable shock like the Tokico Illumina, you have a wider range of spring rates to play with. Since these shocks are more aggressive, you can run anything as low as stock(165in/lbs) to as high as about 500in/lb springs and everything inbetween. As with the HP's, there is kind of an optimal range for comfort and handling, probably around the 350-400in/lb range. With these, you can go pretty low but probably not dumped to the ground if you want them to last and actually make use of your suspension.Since these are adjustable, you kind of need to play around with the settings to get it right. You don't want to set the shocks all the way down if you have stiff springs as they'll be under dampened and pre-maturely blow and you also don't want them too stiff if you have softer springs as you're not letting the shocks work to their fullest potential and offer a smoother ride.

I think a lot of people overlook this kind of thing when choosing their suspension. Seems like a lot of people just want to be able to dump their car to the ground and that's it. Well there's more to it than that if you want to make your suspension last and especially if you want to make use of the suspension on roads/tracks. Some combinations you don't want to do and some work best together. IE: Skunk2 shocks with Tien S.Techs wont be ideal as the Skunk2 shocks are valved to work with much higher spring rates...

Answer the questions above and I might be able to point you in a better direction.
Basically I want a comfortable ride. My hatch is my DD, purely a street driven car. I know close to nothing about suspension but I'm not trying to drop just so I can scrape the ground every corner I make. I'm looking to basically lower 1.5", 2" max - enough to cover the wheel gap and maybe a little further. Something adjustable is necessary due to winter driving I'd like to raise just a little bit in the winter if needed. As far as my budget, I don't want to spend more a grand. Ideally, I'd like to put only 600 into it. I know it's pretty difficult to get a nice setup for that cheap but i'm trying. The ground controls are generally 300 give or take so I figure a decent shock to match up for around 200-300 would be perfect.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Basically I want a comfortable ride. My hatch is my DD, purely a street driven car. I know close to nothing about suspension but I'm not trying to drop just so I can scrape the ground every corner I make. I'm looking to basically lower 1.5", 2" max - enough to cover the wheel gap and maybe a little further. Something adjustable is necessary due to winter driving I'd like to raise just a little bit in the winter if needed. As far as my budget, I don't want to spend more a grand. Ideally, I'd like to put only 600 into it. I know it's pretty difficult to get a nice setup for that cheap but i'm trying. The ground controls are generally 300 give or take so I figure a decent shock to match up for around 200-300 would be perfect.
I think the Progress CS-II coilovers would probably be the cheapest, easiest to deal with and suits what you're looking for. They run for about $650 shipped straight from progress with 1 year warranty. They can lower the car right around where you want, the spring rates are great for just a spirited street driven car, they are a well know and reputable company, and it's hard to beat a their price for what you get.

They sell a few different versions of that coilover that come with different spring rates. I would suggest the coilover set that comes with 350/250 in/lb springs(they call it the "Street Performance" package), that'll give you the best ride. If you think you want a little better performance and/or carry a lot of weight in the back of the car, then go with the 350/350 in/lb setup(called the Street Sport), but it'll ride a little more harsh.

http://progressauto.com/products/sfID1/133/sfID2/34/sfID3/35/productID/595

There are a few other ways to go. Ground-Control sells their sleeve coilovers for civic with spring rates around 350 front and 250 rear I believe, which is just like the Progress coilovers and great for the street. With those spring rates you can run with the Skunk2, Koni STR.T, or Eibach shocks. All three of those shocks go for about $300 shipped on eBay. Out of those I'd highly suggest the Koni STR.T. Koni makes great shocks and this one's no different. The Eibach shocks would probably be the next best. The Skunk2 shocks are designed to work with much stiffer springs so the ride wont be the best with those.

Koni STR.T shocks

Eibach Pro-Damper

Skunk2 shocks

Either with the Progress or the GC and one of the three listed shocks, you're looking at around $650 shipped for the setups.

For a bit more money but still under $1k you can get adjustable shocks. Tokico Illuminas, KYB AGX, and Koni Yellow Sports. Of those three, again I highly suggest the Koni Yellows. Proven time and time again over the years to be an exceptional shock. I've ran my Koni/GC for 4 years of AutoXing and street driving and their proven themselves to be worth every penny. Next best would probably be the KYB AGX. The Tokico Illuminas are good but I don't trust them as much. I know some fellow AutoXer's who have ran them and had issues with the adjustment slot breaking. For the same price or less, I'd go with the KYB's.

Koni Yellow Sports for $540 shipped Around $900 shipped with the GC.

KYB AGX for $400 shipped Around $730 shipped with the GC

Tokico Illuminas for $450 shipped Around $780 shipped with the GC.

Hope that helps.

afoss

5+ Year Member
F&F used to be made by the same company as d2. But the company switched and has redeisgned their whole coilover. 3rd generation Type One (white Type One sticker), Type Two (yellow Type Two sticker), and Type Two.5 are all the new types which are all good and rebuildable

jvictim

civexspeedy, that definitely helps. I think the progress setup looks like the best deal actually. But after afoss mentioned the f&f redesigned coilovers I have to choose.

F&F used to be made by the same company as d2. But the company switched and has redeisgned their whole coilover. 3rd generation Type One (white Type One sticker), Type Two (yellow Type Two sticker), and Type Two.5 are all the new types which are all good and rebuildable
really? so do some suppliers still sell the old ones or are most safe with the new ones? this is where i'd probably order them from - http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3836