anyone know the exact size oil filter cap wrench we need?

dsprimal

Banned
I bought a 7695 or 7965 (forget what order the numbers went in LOL but i'm pretty sure its the 7695) purolator oil filter and I literally can't find an oil filter cap that fits it. It's not the wrong size cause I had to borrow one from my dads friend who is a mechanic to install my last one the last time I change my oil. But i've been looking for one to own myself and autozone has literally ordered 2 different ones thinking they will fit and they both didn't. I've gone to walmart as well as other auto shops and i literally cant find one. my last resort is to buy one of those huge claw clamping wrenches.....

thanks clubcivic JDM LOVE <3

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Channel locks, or a set of man hands

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Or just hammer a screwdriver through it (not the center as to not damage where it mounts on the block).

But seriously, you shouldn't be tightening oil filters that much. Every oil filter I've put on my car by hand, I've gotten off by hand. 3/4 turn after it makes contact with the block, no more.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this i always just do mine with my hand coming off and putting them on.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Seriously it only needs to be hand tight, it also helps to buy the oil filters with the rubber coating on the end .

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just had this problem. I used some 100 grit sandpaper. Works wonders man

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Or you can buy that non-slip stuff you lay down in drawers. As long as you haven't covered your filter in oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trekk

Registered VIP
Go to like sears or HF they sell oil filter pliers. I use them all day. Way more effective then the little caps that I have in like 10 different sizes

dsprimal

Banned
thanks for the replies everyone, I ended up buying the last one on the shelf from a local auto shop. From what I was told the size we need for 6th gen civic oil filters are hard to come across....at least in cap form. So I saw it and snagged it asap like a kid inna candy shop. it was about 3 bucks so its w/e.

Just had this problem. I used some 100 grit sandpaper. Works wonders man
thats a new one! never thought of doing that but sounds effective.