Anyone quit smoking cold turkey?

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never tried to quit, i know it wouldn't last long. I only smoke a pack a day, but feels like im smoking more then that. One day i should try, I need to. I just turned 30 years old a couple months ago, a realized ive been smoking over half my life. Started when I was 13. I know i'll :biz: forever though.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i quit when i was pregnant. that's a pretty easy motivator. my ex hubby quit when i did, too. i took up chewing gum a lot... that helps a tiny bit, but... not really. :lol:

i started up again after the way that turned out, but that was beside the point... :P

taking the money you'd spend on smokes and putting it away every time you think you're gonna go buy them is a good idea.

i smoke capris, which are "luxury" cigarettes. they're generally 7:60 or so per pack. i bought my boyfriend smokes today... marlboro lights - they're five something per pack, i think.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did back in 2000 and it put me in the hospital for a week with pneumonia.

but after that was done and over with, I couldn't even stand being around cigarette smoke.
same s**t happened to me! In like 2008, except now I have asthma, f**king sucks

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i quit years ago.

typical started smoking when i drank type scenario. then turned into two packs a day.

me and the ol lady decided to give it up and have never looked back.

best bet is to just forget thinking about them at all or worrying that u feel loopy or whatever. it will pass in a week.

just dont pick up chewing or anything like that.

sure there are times i want one even now, but i know that it would only make me sick. smelling the first light of someone elses cig is good enough for me...

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i started smoking in Iraq in 2006. Havnt had a smoke since 5pm PST on New Years Eve. Pretty proud of myself considering yesterday the window regulator broke in my truck and I didnt smoke while I cussed and threw s**t at my garage wall. :thumbup:

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
i quit six months ago and got crazy detox symptoms and urges to smoke.
my heavy bag has seen better days mainly due to every day things just setting me off. happened for like a months, then one day, nothing, no more urges to kill small woodland creatures! it was awesome.

Jexe

I don't like to smoke and I never smoke before in my whole life. But I wanted to know that why people smoke? Is it for fun or some taste?

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i quit smoking may 1st 2010. Michigan banned smoking in any building and in public areas. i figured it was a great time to quit. i didn't have any urges for about 4 months. they lasted maybe a week. the thought of smoking, the smell, the tastes grosses me out. i was more addicted to the habit of it. one before work, any time i got in my car, after eating. im so glad i quit.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
rolling your own is the way to go, guys. a 6oz tin makes roughly 180 cigarettes (9 packs) and costs me ~$23 here in indiana. a box of tunes is under $4. for under $27 i'm one pack shy of a carton. that's how much most people pay for 3 packs.

that said, i need to quit by the time i turn 30. i got less than five months to go.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I quit cold turkey, and it lasted about a year and a half. Now I'm back at it with maybe a cig or two a day, but I'm working towards gradually getting off them completely this time.

Paul79UF

I quit cold turkey, and it lasted about a year and a half. Now I'm back at it with maybe a cig or two a day, but I'm working towards gradually getting off them completely this time.
Did you start smoking while drinking?

I used to smoke a cig or two per night while partying in college.

I was never able to cross over into smoking while sober. It just tasted like total ass to me.

I guess that's a good thing. I haven't had a cig since a Mardi Gras trip back in '05.

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A year ago I got tired of my throat feeling like s**t and coughing up phlegm so I up and quit. I only get urges to smoke when I'm drunk or around smoking people. Every once a month or so I'll bum one but I only get reminded why I quit and I don't even finish it. I replaced smoking cigs with smoking something waay greener :biz:

NighthawkEm2

Built Not Bought EM2
im about to quit, i spend like 200 a month on these f**king things! thats money that can be put in the car! hope I can do it unlike the many failed attempts before

Mad Dog Tannen

Registered VIP
A year ago I got tired of my throat feeling like s**t and coughing up phlegm so I up and quit. I only get urges to smoke when I'm drunk or around smoking people. Every once a month or so I'll bum one but I only get reminded why I quit and I don't even finish it. I replaced smoking cigs with smoking something waay greener :biz:
:thumbs up Smoke to get high, not to die!

meganjo

Getting Ready to Quit

* Set a date for quitting. If possible, have a friend quit smoking with you.

* Notice when and why you smoke. Try to find the things in your daily life that you often do while smoking (such as drinking your morning cup of coffee or driving a car).

* Change your smoking routines: Keep your cigarettes in a different place. Smoke with your other hand. Don't do anything else when smoking. Think about how you feel when you smoke.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My entire family has smoked. My dad used to when he was young, he quit a lloonnggg time ago, before I was born. My mom smoked for probably 35-45 years, she quit too. I didn't know she smoked until maybe 10-15 years ago. But she up and quit one day and I haven't seen her smoke since. And I always knew when she smoked because she would refuse to give me a kiss or hug after she came in from smoking (obviously she didn't want me knowing) and she clearly smelled like smoke when I got near her. My brother smoked for a long time too. He quit a ton of times but kept on starting up again from so much stress. I don't think he's smoked in a while now though. I've never tried it, not even 1 puff. Never tried weed. Never tried any drug. It's not for me and I never will.

emerican

Registered VIP
My entire family smokes i smoked a pack and half to two packs a day of kool green packs the harshets menthol i could fine stronger than newports to me anyway i wanted to quit so when payday rolled around i didnt buy a carton like usal and just smoked what i had left till i ran out i ran out on my day off from work and while my girlfriend was at work so nobody had to be around me being an a*****e this was also the day my sri came in the mail so the car caught hell but it went on right and i havent touched a cigerate since