Apx struts and tein stech spring??

jbullet93

Hey guys please enlighten a noob with any info or experience you guys might of had! I recently upgraded to apx senzen struts and tein Stech lowering springs , with 205/45/16 and the ride is kind of comfortable but I can still feel about 95% of the road and makes everything inside the car sorta shake its enoying to be hearing everything every time I drive I thought that upgrading from cheap eBay coilover sleeves to tein the ride would be nicer but it got better by only 5% anyone could pinpoint a common issue or why this might be? Please help me :cry:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why did you post this in the site suggestion section?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Suspension section perhaps? I'll have it moved...

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think because the s-tech is a stiffer spring than stock, plus your tires are shorter than stock (you likely had either 13 or 14 inch wheels from the factory, depending on your year and model). The shorter sidewalls basically put less cushion between your butt and the street. Also, the shorter/stiffer springs are going to give more feedback from the road, so will also translate to a harsher ride than stock.
The H-tech springs are a little closer to stock, and not as stiff as the S-tech springs. Just the fact that you got quality springs likely improved the feel, but S-techs won't make it feel as cushy as stock

jbullet93

Ahhhh really man a lot of ppl said that my best bet was stech to Get a clean low look and still have quality ride! You guys think it might be because, I don't have know brand high performance struts? Also about to wheels I read about everyone that have stech go with that tire size to not rub since anything higher than that would rub on mine :(

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
I think your shocks might be the problem......I really don't know anything about the shocks you have, but I'm guessing they weren't really made to handle lowering springs with a stiffer spring rate.

If you were to upgrade to say, Koni Yellows, I bet that would solve most of your problems.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Never heard of the shocks you have. Where did you get them? I'll agree, the problem probably lies within the shocks you are using.

When you lower a car, the spring rate will(should) increase. No matter what the ride will be more harsh than factory. Wether it's a little or a lot worse, it'll still not ride like stock. The STechs are relatively soft springs so using them with OE type shocks or a mile aftermarket performance shock should give you decent ride quality an performance. But you really shouldn't compare it to stock springs/shocks.

jbullet93

Please don't laugh it's my first project car, I put some apx struts from eBay cause they were cheap but now I'm looking into some tokico hp blue or kyb! Cause I thought the same that maybe those struts being cheap I shouldn't expect much from them huh ?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tokico HP's(blues) and KYB GR2's are just OE replacement shocks. They are not performance shocks. They will probably be a step up from what ever you have on there now, but as far as performance goes, nothing amazing. With the STechs, either of those will be fine.

jbullet93

I want to keep my car lowered but stil a moderated ride! Should I save up and buy a full coilover set up of buy koni yellow sport struts?

monstahtron

I'm somewhat on the same page as you. I'm riding on S.techs and stock struts for a few more weeks until I order my new struts. I'm also going for the same as you, a slight improvement from stock performance but not too much change from it. For that same reason I'll be ordering Koni oranges, from what I've read that is exactly the kind of ride that they offer. I can't recommend them based off first hand but from what I've read, they do look like they could be a good choice for you. Also they're much more affordable than Koni yellows for the guy on a budget.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
Koni STR.Ts (oranges) are good. Pretty much one step down from the Yellows, but still better than OE replacement struts.

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
I have not experienced Koni STR.Ts.

My brother does have Koni Sports (Yellows) though on his Accord. And from my research, the valving on the shocks is nearly identical. The only difference is that the Yellows are dampening adjustable, where as the Oranges are fixed. I'm pretty sure the Oranges are set pretty middle ground on the dampening scale, so for daily driving they will be almost identical to the Yellows. On my brother's car, he currently has the shocks set right in the middle of the stiff/soft spectrum, and it rides like a dream. The STR.Ts will probably be almost identical to that.