Are the front brakes from the DX and SI/EX the same, also.....

Boricuanology

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wil like to know if all 92-95 Civic share the same front models as the SI/EX. For example are the brakes from a DX/VX the same as the top of the line SI/EX. I will like to know since im parting out my 93 SI, to build my 92 DX hatch and will like to know whether I should leave the front brakes intact or replace them with the SI ones. Also will like to know if the 4 door sedan from the same years, 92-95, has bigger brakes than the coupe/hatchback. I got a 95 4 door EX for my wife and it came with all around disc brakes with ABS and the caliper since to be much bigger than the ones on my SI. especially the rear one. Are the EX 4 door brakes bigger than my SI hatch? or are they bigger cause it has ABS brakes in all 4 corners?
thank you guys for your replies.
Jimmy

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no ex/si are bigger and i do not belive that the 4 door are bigger.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buzzbombtom said:
no ex/si are bigger and i do not belive that the 4 door are bigger.
im pretty sure the 4 door ex has bigger brakes too... same as the si front and rear

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why won't you check the specs on all cars here in the "spec section" that will give you an idea where to start

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
This has been discussed quite thoroughly on the site. Only the civics with ABS have bigger knuckles like the integra's have. So if your Si has abs, then keep the knuckles, if not , then they are the same as the dx model. Keep the brake proportioning if you want to use your rear disk brakes b/c they won't work as they should. But only the civics with ABS have larger brakes. If you have a non-ABS Si, then that is the brake proportioning valve you will need.

hondadna

Rep the 330!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the EX/Si share the same brakes in front same with the GSR. their is not a differnce with the rotor or caliper no matter with or without ABS, now the knuckles are different cause of the ABS mounting points. their is two types of cailpers the Akebonos and Nissins. The Nissin model is used on the EX/Si and the GSR it may also be used in other Acura models. the Akebono model is used on all other models. the rotor size on all Nissin model is the same 9.25", the Akebono models are smaller 8.5". the rear brakes can get confuseing the EX/Si share the same rotor and Nissin calipers but on the lower models their is many size drums the CX have like a 7 inch drum the DX/VX/LX share the 8.5 inch drum. after 92 all 4 door models came with ABS so they have the EX/Si calipers and rotors in the rear.

Boricuanology

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
somejaykid said:
why won't you check the specs on all cars here in the "spec section" that will give you an idea where to start
thats great! thanks for remind me.

JDMSiR

aka JR-Style
5+ Year Member
si/ex calipers are different from dx etc ones, same size if non abs but different calipers, si/ex ones are nissin and the lower end dx ones are made by some company that starts when an "a" that i cant remember the name of.

Kam3

5+ Year Member
thats two door. the four door Ex is fully loaded, rear discs, and large front rotors. small calipers i believe.

Boricuanology

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kam3 said:
thats two door. the four door Ex is fully loaded, rear discs, and large front rotors. small calipers i believe.
I happend to have a '95 4 door ex with all around disc brakes with abs and it seems to have bigger calipers than my 93 SI, don't know about the rotor sizes but the calipers seems bigger to me. Nissin on all four coners! I wanted to switch them and put them on my DX hatchback but Im putting my SI's insted.

Boricuanology

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok my 95 EX 4 door with abs does have bigger front rotors, 10.3" and also the calipers are bigger. Not quite sure whats the size on the rear rotors thou. I also heard that regarless of EX trim, weather abs or not and also weather the ex came with rear disc or not, on the EX 4 door the front rotors are all the same, the big10.3" rotors, this info Im tryin to have it confirm. Now my SI got tricker, it seems that for 92-93 the SI and the DX has the same front rotor, 9.4" I know this for fact because I messaure it and because I just did a complete brake set up from my SI to my DX and I order everything brand new, Rotors,Pads,brake lines,speed bleeders,extended wheel studs, and when I took the parts out of both cars they measure it the same up front. The rear rotors were the same size as the front ones, 9.4" as well. NOW dont know if on the SI for 94-95 they came with an upgrade for the front and rear rotors, This is what Im trying to find out.

Search here for "Mi projecto", Mi project. And you will see the brake parts that I got to do a complete, swap/brake upgrade for my 92 DX.

honda_civic_92

Does the EX front brakes can fit to Dx?

Hi guys,

Since you guys are talking about brakes. i was wondering if you guys can
answer my questions. I have a project car which is a 92 civic DX sedan and i was
thinking about changing my brake set up in the front and back. I'm looking at changing my
front brakes with the EX brakes from a coupe and for the back would be a disc brake
from a sedan also but with the abs. So, What are the things should i need to accomplish this
set up? Thank you in advance....

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hey someone searched! If you searched harder, you could've found your answer though ;). Honda-Tech has a larger database and a FAQ thread where questions like these are stickied since they are asked so frequently. Try there for this kind of stuff next time.

If you want the EX brakes in the front, you need the whole EX knuckle (bearing, hub, calipers, caliper hangars, rotors, and pads).

For the rears, you need the rear trailing arm assembly (94-01 integra, 99-00 Si, 92-95 Si, 93-97 del sol too I believe), 99-00 Si e-brake cables, 99-00 Si MC/Prop valve, and for brake lines, you need to get brake lines relative to whichever trailing arm assembly you get. So if you get an integra trailing arm, you need integra brake lines, if you get 99-00 si trailing arms, you need 99-00 si brake lines, etc.