ARGH!!! Idle problems

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ah ic...i'll have a mechanic run a full diagnostic on the car...

d16acoupe

5+ Year Member
its probally the automatic choke, its underneath the tb take it off there a little plate held on with two screws inside theres a white round thing that has came loose if it is tighten it up an it be sound

J-SPEC-2-4DR

Banned
Your Intake Maniflod Gaskette

b16bang said:
well i went to pick my car up today and couldn't get it...theres a problem witht he idle...it goes up and down and they dunnow hats wrong so i decided to post on here. The o2 sensors were all replaced as well as the throttle body...PLESE someone help me and tell me whats wrong...

YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETTE. IT HAPPENED TO MINE AS WELL. SPRAY SOME BRAKE CLEANER ON IT WHILE IT IS RUNNING AND YOU CANSEE IF IS HAS A LEAK.A LEAK WILL CAUSE AIR TO ESCAPE AND MAKE THE IDLE GO UP AND DOWN,
OR YOU BRAKE BOOSTER NEEDS A NEW GASKETTE :shock:

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how much am i lookin at paying to have the gaskets replaced...the both of them?

J-SPEC-2-4DR

Banned
b16bang said:
how much am i lookin at paying to have the gaskets replaced...the both of them?
$15 FOR THE MANIFOLD GASKETTE,AND THE BRAKE BOOTER GASKETTE IS LIKE $3-$4 PLUS LABOR UNLESS YOU DO IT YOUR SELF

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
naw no funds for anything but gas...lol...gettin payed today and gettin system...so...after that we'll see whats up...(technically got payed yesterday but didn't pick up check)

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so my dad and me have been tinkering with the engine for the last day or so, (mostly after school) and come to find out the IACV was unplugged. So we plugged it in and instead of the fast idle problem it was going real slow. No tachometer so i couldn't tell you how high the rpms were reaching. I took some pics for the hell of it, for those of us a little less mechanically inclined. I've decided to put my cam to use and just keep up guys updated on how we fix the problem. I'm buying another IACV from a guy off of IA and should be installing it tomorrow. It was weird because no matter how much we adjusted the idle speed control screw the engine wasn't responding at all. The only response we got outta it was from unplugging the IACV. Below are pics of the IACV and stuff...

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it only when u start up or the whole time the car is on... if its only when the engine is cold... its ur FITV mostlikely... happened to me and i just fixed it last week... took my fast idle thermal valve apart and cleaned it and also retighten it because that one thing inside gets loose or something. it fixed my problem... i use to jump up to 3K and then it jumps untill the car is warmed up...

2QCK4U2

Hate To Lose
5+ Year Member
b16bang said:
naw its when the car is cold and warm..
I had the same issues with mine found out it was my PCV valve that is located under the fuel rail, it was split all the way around. Also the Intake gasket was leaking too so I replaced those and now it idles like new again

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea we originally thought it was the TPS but it doesn't look like that. Today hopefully me and my pops will be replacing the IACV...want me to do a write-up?

HuhDuh

Honda n00b
5+ Year Member
I still have the same problem with my car.. starts up and the rpms are steady then after 10-15 secs my rpm bounces, funny thing is, when i turn on the head lights it stops bouncing.

I was told it's my MAP Sensor.. hopfully replacing it soon..

Dr.Anus

proctologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have this problem to, here I don't feel like typing again:
Dr.Anus said:
This is a problem with a lot of Honda's(maybe other cars to?). The most common fix is the pcv valve, they're cheap and easy to replace so try that first. After that it starts getting fun...

I have had this problem for some time and have done a lot of research and attempted fixes. I have:
-replaced pcv valve
-cleaned iacv
-replaced entire throttle body with new tps and map sensor (you shouldn't replace the tps sensor alone just replace the whole throttle body)
-new fuel pump and fpr
-tuned the idle speed several times
-replaced vacuum hoses
-new plugs, wires, cap, rotor
-a bunch of other crap like intake filters, fuel filters, etc.

I'm left to think it is either the iacv itself, a vacuum leak somewhere, poor grounding, or little idle gnomes causing trouble.

Like I said most people get it fixed with a new pcv valve, also check for vacuum leakes. And if you figure it out please post your solution.
I hope that you didn't replace your tps sensor (just checked it). I found out the hard way that once it's removed it should be calibrated once re-attached. It turns out it's cheaper to just buy a whole throttle body than to have the tps calibrated.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update!!!!!

ok so today i took at the throttle body determined to find out exactly what is going on. So i took it off and deattached that little thing at the bottom..(what is it, coolant runs through it) and as i was deattaching it i noticed it rattled everytime i moved. SO i openned it up and this little plastic threaded yellow thing is hoppin up and down...I see the threads and figure..wtf, m8? threads go into threading so obviously it needed to be screwed it...i don't kno what the hell it was or what it controlled but i took a chance and screwed it down about halfway... in the pics you can see the yellow thing...when i put everything back together and started the engine the idle problem I THOUGHT was gone...but it was just very unnoticeable...so tomorrow i'm gonna have at it again and tighten the yellow thing all the way to see what effects that produce...also near the thing that holds the throttle cable theres this little nut and like bolt thingy with an allen key openning on one side. What does that do? I mean i kno it acts as a stop point for the throttle return...(i was messin with the throttle body and pressing it and i noticed it was pretty hard to press and it was like..STUCK when i released it all the way and then tried pressing it.) so if i adjust the nut to keep the throttle body thing JUST like.. .0000000001 mm from closing to keep it from gettin stuck with my idle be higher? will it be like a very very very low rev for the engine at all times? heres the pics...

overall shot..

a little but closer to that yellow screw thingy...

heres that nut and mini bolt thing i was talkin about...

this is one of my first adventures by myself into my engine bay...i took pics of everything before and after and compared and test drove the car..and made sure every bolt and nut was tightened to the way i had it before..everything runs like it did before if not a little better...i'm a nub i kno...i don't kno all the nifty lingo but help me PLZ!!!!