NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Alaska police crimp wireless surfer
PALMER, Alaska, Feb. 24 (UPI) -- Free wireless Internet service at a public library in Palmer, Alaska, doesn't mean its available for use after hours.

A Palmer man has been waiting to see if he'll be charged with criminal wrongdoing after a patrolling police officer seized the laptop he was using to play online video games in the parking lot.

Authorities told the Anchorage Daily News Saturday that Brian Tanner, 21, had been chased out of a number of locations around Palmer where he had been latching on to wireless service.

Police said that although Tanner was using an essentially free service, there are library rules governing its use and Tanner wasn't following them.

Cliff notes:
Using free wi-fi after house = No more laptop for you
Library rules = Law

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lmao....talk about anal people

kangaroo

..........UPS.........
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that might end up on the J-leno show....hahaahaha....BS rules.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
o gosh......:rolf:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what complete bullshit.. tell them they need to use reasonable effort to secure something before you can consider it stolen..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hell, even if I left my car out in the driveway with teh door unlocked and the keys in the ignition, it could be stolen. The thing is, the wireless is at the public library (paid for my tax payers) and is free at the library.

Now if I left some furniture in the front yard with a big sign that reads "FREE", and a guy with a truck comes and takes them... I'd feel stoupid to file a theft report on that. :lol:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Hell, even if I left my car out in the driveway with teh door unlocked and the keys in the ignition, it could be stolen. The thing is, the wireless is at the public library (paid for my tax payers) and is free at the library.

Now if I left some furniture in the front yard with a big sign that reads "FREE", and a guy with a truck comes and takes them... I'd feel stoupid to file a theft report on that. :lol:
it even goes past that for me.. a wireless router is you transmitting YOUR internet conection out.. it is YOUR duty to secure it imo... if they did not want it used there were EASY ways to deal with it...

and i think they were WAY wrong to take his comptuer.. i would be PISSED..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
it even goes past that for me.. a wireless router is you transmitting YOUR internet conection out.. it is YOUR duty to secure it imo... if they did not want it used there were EASY ways to deal with it...

and i think they were WAY wrong to take his comptuer.. i would be PISSED..
:werd:
If they didn't want anyone using it after hours, just turn the router off. :what:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NOFX said:
If they didn't want anyone using it after hours, just turn the router off. :what:
:werd: right.

some people...:roll:

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NOFX said:
:werd: why is that so hard?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Theres a name for what he was doing, I forget what it is, but its considered a form of hacking.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:haha:

'cuz it takes a really smart person to hit, "view available wireless networks" and click connect on the one that doesn't require a key. :roll:

just shut it off, geez...

Jmoto911

Built, not bought.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lawl... did you guys not read where this happened??? what the hell else do they have to do besides pursue meaningless "crimes"... Palmer, Alaska has a population of 6,920 according to the 2005 census bureau. Nuf Said! lol

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that is a bunch of BS and i would be extrememly pissed. if anything he could have been picked up for tresspassing, not stealing the free WIFI.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
this is ridiculous... they should've hired me to secure their wifi.

ryanM

Jmoto911 said:
lawl... did you guys not read where this happened??? what the hell else do they have to do besides pursue meaningless "crimes"... Palmer, Alaska has a population of 6,920 according to the 2005 census bureau. Nuf Said! lol
the town i live in only has 3,171 :what:

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
you're not a state.
Neither is Palmer, Alaska.

This is retarded. It's their fault for not turning off the internet after hours.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats stupid... if they don't want anyone using wireless afterhours, then they need to set permissions on the router to stop distributing IP address after whatever hours they close

:thumbdown: to the law and that library