At a Lose, Running super rich, all 4 cylinders fouled black plugs instant

kevmachine

I don't know where to start. I guess by saying that I bought a 1992 civic hatch with a jdm second gen b16a in it, and after driving it home from when I bought it, I noticed smell of fuel was strong, so figured it was running rich or a fuel leak. No fuel is leaking so I took out all 4 spark plugs, and they were all black. Thought may be they were worn out or what ever, so I went and bought ngk platniums and put them in, car ran awesome for around 5 minutes, then the idle started to get jumpy. Shut the car off and looked at the plugs, they were all black again like the old one's. Let me just list some things I tried and did to the car in the few week's I had it.

1. checked ecu for chip/socket. didn't see anything, looked like a stock p30-N21 ecu no jumpers or anything.
2. changed air filter and fuel filter, no difference.
3. Took the vacume line off the fuel pressure regulator to see if any fuel was leaking none was coming out, but I am not sure if this was the proper way to check the fpr. wasn't an adjustable one either, looked oem.
4. tried 2 different sets of plug wires, same thing with either or.
5. check my fuel injectors to see if any were stuck open, non were, not sure if they were oem or after market thou should check that tommorow.
6. checked air intake temp sensor, didn't look melted or anything and was connected correctly cleaned it off and didn't help.
7. the o2 sensor was black, I tried cleaning it up a bit, came out pretty good, but it didn't help as it was still running rich. I am pretty sure there is only suppose to be 1 o2 sensor for this swap correct?
8. did a compression test, the engine was solid with around 209-212 on all 4 cylinders.
9. it's not really burning oil, I am not noticing blue smoke much, unless when I first start it maybe a bit if I rev it up but oil lever's are still all full after a week of idling in the garage.
10. various times I reset the ecu when doing things but no effect.

As far as I can tell with mod's the car has a short ram intake with a new filter I put on. it has a Greedy cat back but I think the converter was removed, unless the converter can look like a resonator cuz it just looked like 2 resonators on the full exhaust system. Headers look like oem 4-2-1.

Things I think could be the promblem but not 100% sure.

1. the ignition system, maybe it's not getting a good enough spark or hot enought I don't know much about this but it is backfiring a bit at 3k rpm, not backfiring but I can hear little pop's as it's idling, when I drove it home it was backfiring loudly the odd time when shifting.

2. ecu could be bad? opened ;it up looked good, didn't see any issues it was clean.
3. the temperature gauge will not move until the engine is at running temp or hotter, then it only move's to like 1/4th mark not even. I didn't notice the fan on the radiator come on since I owned it and I had it idling for 30 minutes once, if this is normal or not I don't know but could this actually cause my car to run that rich? I know it can make it run a bit rich if the engine thinks it's cold, but rich enought to where all 4 spark plugs turn black in a matter of minutes? I don't know.

There's a lot of other things I was thinking but can't recall at this moment, If someone solves this for me I will be very thankful!!! I don't wanna keep dumping money into until I know what's wrong with it, I am thinking new o2 sensor what do you guy's think?

Thanks
Kevin

tekfoc

5+ Year Member
Change out the o2 sensor .

kevmachine

I think I solved the issue, I am not srue what did it, maybe the new plugs I had were not gapped or were not the right ones, but This weekend I tried another set of plugs ngk V power, and I also installed a new thermostat, the old one when boiled would take 2x as long to open and close *not sure if this is really that big of a deal or not* also I ran the MAF sensor on it's own line directly to the intake, it was on a hose that had like 2 other hose's connecting to it like a T. Let it run for 20 minutes or so and the plugs were very clean. I think that a hose that was connected to the MAF sensor was a hose that ran to the charcoal canister, not sure if this is normal or not or if I may have messed something up or if what I did solved this issue but may cause more issues later on. Let me know what you guy's think. Also I just orded a new O2 sensor just to be safe, old one was black and pretty worn out looking.

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check your distributor see if timing was adjusted. Thermostat would affect it because the combustion chamber would run hot before it opened to allow coolant to cool it off.

Zedicous

P30 so i'd say it's ODB1, 96 and up is ODB2, which will have an extra O2 sensor that makes sure you have a cat but that is foolable. I would not think a vacuum leak would cause that but i could be wrong. I would think it was a bad tune but you can't so i'd look at the O2 sensor. Denso make oem parts for Honda so i'd get a denso. I usually go to their site and see which one i need then go to ebay and get it cheaper but sometimes Denso will be cheaper. Oh, all that somke you see is fuel.