At my wits end!

A Garcia

98 civic ex coupe M/T.
Help! I start my car and let it warm up and within minutes the iac valve closes and the higher warm up idle drops to a normal rpm. I put the car into first and slightly accelerate. The rpm as should be expected, rises but then as I change into neutral to go into second gear the rpms stay suck at between 1500 and 2000 rpm. As I come to a stop and am in neutral the rpms stay high. But the fact that the rpms are high makes it harder than usual to shift into first. So as to avoid just shoving it into first I shift into second while stopped and slightly let go of the clutch just enough to send the car into slight forward motion as this will then let me shift out of second and it goes into first smoothly. As the car progressively get warmer I can gun the gas peddle for an instant and the rpms drop to normal levels. In trying to resolve this problem I have replaced the TPS sensor, cleaned the IAC valve, removed and cleaned the the throttle body as well. While in my drive way while the rpms are stuck high with hood opened I have confirmed that the lever where the accelerator cable attaches is bottomed out at the stop so I don't think the throttle itself is getting stuck slightly opened. Once the car has run around for 10 so minutes the problem is gone. But after parked for anything more that say two hours sticking reoccurs.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
intermittent vac leak is my hypothesis

when the rpms go to normal, spray carb cleaner around tb, intake, and injectors and see if idle changes.. also move and check vac hoses

A Garcia

Esotericimage thanks for the reply. I had tried that before but not very thoroughly so just finished doing a better job of it just now and not so much as a hiccup or anything and also shot some cleaner down by the pcv valve and nothing there either. Just strange that it only appears worse the colder it is. I'm starting to think that cleaning out the iac is not enough and may just replace it as it seems to me it a whole lot responsible for rmp at colder temps. Oh and I forgot to mention that no cel light triggers over this. Just hate to spend that kind of money and it might not even be the problem.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Get a vacuum reading, could be the intake manifold gasket, TB gasket etc. When everything heats up and expands the leak may be getting sealed up. Cleaning the TB (around the butterfly) wouldn't hurt either.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Also, just make sure the throttle cable isn't getting stuck, and make sure the TB plate is closing all the way.