Auto tranny wont shift: 1996 Civic EX

Brian Dryer

My automatic transmission randomly loses the ability to shift while driving when I stop.

This Is a copy pasted post from several years ago but I have the same issue with my 1996 Civic EX...I loved my little Civic but for several months It has been parked now...I flushed and refilled the tranny three times suposedly the guy I bought the car from said that would fix it..but no..to me it seems really like the transmission has a heat sensor maybe or is over heating...I really am pretty decent with a wrench on Chevy's . Another issue may lie in the fact a few months two maybe before the initial start ofb the tranny problems I had to change the fan belt..and well I had to loosen the motor mount to install the belt so is there some advice you could give a noob to Civics..but an enthusiast with a tight budget how to start diagnosing the issue I really want to keep andd build this lil car..ever since I saw them in fast and the furious one I wanted one...I just am about to the point of giving up on this future lil street racer and looking for something else...but I dont wanna...so any advice short of replace swap to 5spd...etc...finances dont pwermit yet...would be greatly appreciated..thank you in advance..I have a Haynes..and well..need advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup. You posted in the right section. I specified your title so you receive more help, and summed up your issue in green italics. In the future, please avoid posting a copy of someone elses issue in place of your own explanation to avoid confusion.

Please provide any trouble shooting you have attempted so far. Have you tried to inspect the shift linkage? It could also be a shift solenoid.

Last edited: