Axle won't go in all the way?

rainman3223

5+ Year Member
I have just finished putting in a new left side axle seal. I followed the axle replacement tutorial and everything went fairly smooth. Now when I try to put the axle back into the transmission, I can get it almost all the way in but there is about an 1/8" gap between the axle and the transmission. I have tried taking the axle out and putting back in several times, and no matter what I have the 1/8" gap. Is there a trick to getting it in all the way?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for some reason mine were a b***h to do as well...
make sure you didnt leave a c-clip inside the trans. also, grease the s**t out of the input shaft.
i used a rubber dead blow on one of mine to seat it...

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is no "real trick", its all about brut force. You could greese the c clip and splines a little, also try to spin the axle

daddy

you just need to keep messing with it. all the sudden it will drop in place. keep twisting it and pushing it and pulling it out and trying again. you just have to get everything lined up right.

Nosepicker

5+ Year Member
you just need to keep messing with it. all the sudden it will drop in place. keep twisting it and pushing it and pulling it out and trying again. you just have to get everything lined up right.
Good advice. I'll try it out tonight but she better not complain. :P

96sohccivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just hold the axle get the splines lined up then push as hard as i can a couple times and they will usually go in. It just takes force just done force it in if everything is not lined up.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i used a rubber dead blow on one of mine to seat it...

:word: I have done more than 10 half shafts and I would say 60% of them fought me when going back in. A couple hits with the rubber dead blow and they went in.

OP: All the ones I have done there was no gap between the axle housing and the transmission.

rainman3223

5+ Year Member
:word: I have done more than 10 half shafts and I would say 60% of them fought me when going back in. A couple hits with the rubber dead blow and they went in.

OP: All the ones I have done there was no gap between the axle housing and the transmission.
Which part are you hitting to get it in? The opposite end of the drive shaft?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Which part are you hitting to get it in? The opposite end of the drive shaft?
The end that goes through the brake rotor. Make sure you put something over the end so you don't mess up the threads. Trust me, you don't want to mess those threads up.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did he get it in the hole all the way?