B, D, ZC what else?

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey all Im new to the civic side of tuning, so I need some help on the civic I about to start modding. First the car will be an 88-91 hatchback. Does anyone know what years are better than others i.e. lighter, built better any differences at all? Im not concerned with the engine it has because that will be swaped out immediately. Next what engine should I get? I've noticed really 3 types, B,D, and ZC series. Ive heard all the civic guys raving about the B swaps, but which is best are there others. Im looking to turbo the engine with about 10-12 psi nothing crazy just a nicely built engine with a average amount of boost to hopefully produce a fun reliable engine. All help is appriciated and I thank you in advance. Lastly I need a good place to buy the engine from.

SilentMist

10 psi seems like a dream
there two more common one H Series/ K series there`s 4 in all the Dohc ZC Is a D series motor .

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i noticed in one of your posts you decided to go with the zc engine over the b16. Why, was it the d series that your talking about. Whats the difference between the d16 and b16? Is one more reliable than the other. Which one has the best block for boost. Ive been told that the h series is not very reliable, is this true?

95civic-jdm

5+ Year Member
nyghtryder said:
i noticed in one of your posts you decided to go with the zc engine over the b16. Why, was it the d series that your talking about. Whats the difference between the d16 and b16? Is one more reliable than the other. Which one has the best block for boost. Ive been told that the h series is not very reliable, is this true?
I built a b18b non-vtec turbo set-up on stock internals at 10 psi and it lasted me 3 years and i sold it still running great and its still great as far as i now! My rec is ls non-vtec for boost because there a dime a dozen and there very tough. But the real key to all this is tuning!,Tuning!,Tuning!

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I built a b18b non-vtec turbo set-up on stock internals at 10 psi and it lasted me 3 years and i sold it still running great and its still great as far as i now! My rec is ls non-vtec for boost because there a dime a dozen and there very tough. But the real key to all this is tuning!,Tuning!,Tuning!
who makes a good turbo system for these engines? Or did you design your own?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nyghtryder said:
Hey all Im new to the civic side of tuning, so I need some help on the civic I about to start modding. First the car will be an 88-91 hatchback. Does anyone know what years are better than others i.e. lighter, built better any differences at all? Im not concerned with the engine it has because that will be swaped out immediately. Next what engine should I get? I've noticed really 3 types, B,D, and ZC series. Ive heard all the civic guys raving about the B swaps, but which is best are there others. Im looking to turbo the engine with about 10-12 psi nothing crazy just a nicely built engine with a average amount of boost to hopefully produce a fun reliable engine. All help is appriciated and I thank you in advance. Lastly I need a good place to buy the engine from.
search around... google is your friend!

it all depends on how much you wanna spend, what gen your car is, ect.
like i said search around and figure out what YOU want to do, since its your car and your money.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
search around... google is your friend!
I did search, not just this site but several others. That is the problem. I am now more confused on what I should choose than ever. It seems that there are too many swaps. The most common seem to be the b16 and d16 swaps. However, I cannot find out what the difference is between swaps besides SOHC vs DOHC. Which is better, and why? B or D whats the difference.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nyghtryder said:
I did search, not just this site but several others. That is the problem. I am now more confused on what I should choose than ever. It seems that there are too many swaps. The most common seem to be the b16 and d16 swaps. However, I cannot find out what the difference is between swaps besides SOHC vs DOHC. Which is better, and why? B or D whats the difference.
ill try and help you out. what car are you going to be swapping? P.M. me, or hit me up on AIM... it will be way easier to discuss like that.

AIM- SOHCLUBKID

SilentMist

I chose my d16a6 Si motor and my Dohc ZC because,I am so tired of the B16 there like the blonde on the coner who just got done to many time`s haha .

Plus with the two motors,I chose .I dont have to change motor mounts nothing everything is plug and play pretty much man that why ,I chose them and there both not to expensive and realiable if done right man but its up to you .

My motors

d16a6 -In the Works for boost

My JDM Dohc ZC-Boosted but,I am taking it apart and doing it the right way.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok. the D16 is not a better swap over the B16. ill explain in a min but i gotta go do some work real quick

89CivicDxHatch

5+ Year Member
if your planning on turboing. go with a ZC because they are cheaper, and to me alot better, so you'd have prob enough money to buy a ebay turbo kit.

or you could go with a b16a and be broke.

i wouldnt mind having a d16 in my 90 hatch though

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks i appreciate the help

My JDM Dohc ZC-Boosted but,I am taking it apart and doing it the right way.
where do you find the dohc zc, i only see the sohc. Is there a difference in the block at all or is just the head different?

SilentMist

yeah there a diffrence the a few import shops you can get em from most right from her cc or Ebay . for the cheap one`s the one from japan with 40,50,60 miles gotta go to jdmenginecorp.com hmotorsonline.com

ryanM

jesus, there are tons of motors you can swap

d series
b series
SC
k series
h series
c series
j series
f series

just depends on how much you want to spend

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whats your budget?

thats really the deciding factor...

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say for boost a nice 94-01 acura integra LS that brings a b18b series motor.its a dohc with 1.8 liter known to handle 300 + hp with stock internals and are very easy to swap in to a 88-91 chassi civic.oh yeah and there easy to find and cheap.if you come across a 1 gen acura integra which is the "doch zc" motor that would be my second choice.from experience i truely recommend a b18b series for boost

oh yeah and also a b20 would be real nice for boost...they come of the honda crv.....

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DEEGORILLA06 said:
i say for boost a nice 94-01 acura integra LS that brings a b18b series motor.its a dohc with 1.8 liter known to handle 300 + hp with stock internals and are very easy to swap in to a 88-91 chassi civic.oh yeah and there easy to find and cheap.if you come across a 1 gen acura integra which is the "doch zc" motor that would be my second choice.from experience i truely recommend a b18b series for boost

oh yeah and also a b20 would be real nice for boost...they come of the honda crv.....
The USDM D16a1 won't fit into a 4th gen. Mounts are totally different. Need to get the JDM motor that's labeled "ZC". It's a blacktop.