B series swap into 2000 ex ?s

laserbeak

Hello guys,

Car: 2000 civic ex 5sp..Donor.. Gsr motor.. unknown year and ecu year.. which is why im here

Yesterday my poor 292k y8 started to knock..I have a gsr motor and tranny with ecu/axles and header from a previous build i had going.. now the questions I have... no matter where i look, between sites and yahoo questions and ecu pinout guides...are ALL different somehow... And out of all the forums this one looked the most informative. So here goes.. oh and ty for all help in advanced.. Ill be doing this swap this week so ill be looking to you guys for help here and there probably.

First... I know I need a rear L bracket motor mount from a 99-00 civic si for my rear mount.. what about the other mounts.. some say u can just fill your d series...side mounts and use them...and forget abt the trq mounts... is this true or do i need mounts all the way around (ie both l bracket and 2 sides?)... some talked about talking the pulley or something else off to make the gsr fit into the civic engine bay.. is this true? thought this was mostly a bolt up swap.....

now on to ecu questions.. I know the motor is b18c1... here are the ecu pics i got.. looks like some type of convertion harness is already on it? (this was in a 2000(1???) integra 4 door, the motor and ecu) here are some pics and i hope you guys can shed some light onto this..

Also im interested in the butterfly valves on the intake mani.. a friend of mine says without them.. low end is bad.. and to try to hook them up.. Can I get any information on this?? or is it not worth the hassle? The gsr motor has all accessories.. and what not and the harness was cut by the firewall so i have all plugs on the motor... Like I said just need to know about the mounts..butterfly valve.. identifying this ecu and convertion harness.. OH and any information on throttle cables? i mean I know the gsr one was cut.. on the line.. so the bracket and stuff is there... anyway to use my civic's? Well thanks guys for more reading.. anything you think of I should know.. shoot me a reply! Im very excited to have a b series in this civic.. should be a bit quicker.. and less downshifts going up hills lol

Thanks again

ex

OH and before I forget.. I have a stock gsr ex mani... Im hearing this will not work for exhaust? what do you ek guys use for exhaust? this car MUST pass inspect (NY) this month.. so let me know how to work this.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OH and before I forget.. I have a stock gsr ex mani... Im hearing this will not work for exhaust? what do you ek guys use for exhaust? this car MUST pass inspect (NY) this month.. so let me know how to work this.
For my 96 CX GSR, used a DC Sports header for a GSR on my B18C1 block, Random Technology cat for an EK Hatchback and an Apexi WS2 catback for the EK Hatchback and had a muffler shop weld in the missing piece. It's not going to line up perfectly.

laserbeak

first thing on google

http://bc-garage.com/2012/10/21/b-series-ek-engine-swap-guide/

that jumper harness has no other markings on it?
At first I didnt think so.. then i peeled back the for offroad use only stick.. and it had some #s. 739311 that were burned into the harness end of the conversion harness.

Those numbers didnt get me anywhere.. but I did find a harness on a sellers webpage...that looked to have identical (from what i can see in pic) wiring. to the wiring config going into my ecu... Can anyone confirm?

http://conversionharness.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=6&zenid=i7hcnc63niit25j1dd5opgr8d6

and here is mine

And yeah I knew exhaust was guna be the b***h... guess ill find a cheapo b series header, tons of em on ebay.....and cat and exhaust.. can you recommend any exhaust/cat/header combo from ebay thats not super loud? i want some exhaust noise but not a ticket getting honda buzz.. I know the ws2 is good but very expensive. Also any knowledge on the throttle cables?

and ty blood I have that website bookmarked but it contradict to what other sides say as far as mounts, ecu , throttle cable.. which is why im here. Thanks for the quick responses guys... and sry for so many questions... but im out of work till i get this done..

laserbeak

For my 96 CX GSR, used a DC Sports header for a GSR on my B18C1 block, Random Technology cat for an EK Hatchback and an Apexi WS2 catback for the EK Hatchback and had a muffler shop weld in the missing piece. It's not going to line up perfectly.

Were you able to buy this all bolt on? having trouble finding 2.5" or 2.25" preflanged cat for our application.. or did u just get a universal and had it all welded in? I found a 50$ magnaflow exhaust for a civic cx (97) that im about to grab (catbacK) but its a 2.25" exhaust.. all the headers I found are 2.5" outlet... you can buy cat's with 2/5" in and 2.25" out? this is all very confusing..I just want to buy buy buy... but I dont even know if im buying the correct sutff.... Little insight please?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Your car is OBD2-b, and the car it was in was too, so they bought a conversion harness to run that OBD2-a ecu in the newer car. The ecu and engine are probably from a 96-99 GSR

laserbeak

Your car is OBD2-b, and the car it was in was too, so they bought a conversion harness to run that OBD2-a ecu in the newer car. The ecu and engine are probably from a 96-99 GSR
Okay, so this is good news! atleast one bit of good news.. and after talking to many ppl about the exhaust i think im guna go with some ebay header...universal cat.. and a 50$ craigs magnaflow catback from an ek.. and just bolt on the header and bring it to a local muffler shop..with the universal 2.5/2.5" cat and say make it work im sure they have flanges and reducers to the moon... seems to be the easiest way..I was hoping for bolt on.. but theres just too many variables...Thanks for the info man! now to find out about the throttle cable. and butterfly valves...ive found some info but its been confusing.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I think you will have to find the pin-out on the ecu and wire the IAB into it for the butterflies to work correctly. I've never dealt with it so I have no idea.

laserbeak

I think you will have to find the pin-out on the ecu and wire the IAB into it for the butterflies to work correctly. I've never dealt with it so I have no idea.
every rode in a car with them disabled? do you just leave them in the open position? Was the low end terrible? again ty for the information. I Know its possible to run gsr's with them disabled..maybe someone can chime in here?

laserbeak

Also!... what did you do for your o2 downstream.. cuz i have two problems 1... header is guna be 2.5..out.. obviously a stock civic cat isnt going to work..if i get a universal cat... is the o2 bung included on the random technologies universal cat?

Is this what im looking for..for my swap?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Magnaflow/Exhaust/Catalytic_Converters/Universal/9980

2.5" In/Out with Dual O2 Boss (OBDII)

im assuming dual o2 boss means one before and after the cat... which is what im looking for.. then just run a reducer to the 2.25" magnaflow exhaust im buying?... do most exhaust shops have the right Flanges and such to bolt a universal cat between a aftermarket head and exhaust...? im very confused by this and want to order this stuff tonight to have it by the weekend...But i dont want to create a more spending..Im guessing ill have to buy a flange to weld onto the universal cat...so it bolts to the header... and then a 2.25 flange for the exhaust side? anyone have a source for flanges?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
If it is just mild steel maybe a shop can just weld a bung into it?

Not sure if aftermarket cats will throw the readings off for the o2 sensor, probably not.

And to answer your question about riding in a GSR with IABs disabled, no. My GSR had an aftermarket intake manifold, as done my current one.

laserbeak

Okay some updates.. so....anyways..D series is out.. Didn't break anything .. Everything is ready to go.. This was a learning process I will say that! I appreciate the links frog!.. Now. Swapping the gsr in.. I'm guna tackle one thing at a time.. I have the wiring harness dangling in the civic... Can it be taken out of the car..the harness ....and put on the gsr motor?... Maybe that's a dumb question but its my first swap. Gimme a break. And the only other worry I have..is the throttle cable.. When we took out the gsr we had to hustle soo... I cut the harness close to the battery ..cut some other various stuff... Including my throttle cable close to the manifold. So the bracket on the manifold is there. But is there another bracket on the firewall I'm missing? I'm buying a brand new gsr cable.. But I hear horror stories of slack and other bad things .. So just checking..

Also, found out the ecu is def a 97 with a conversion harness for the 2000 integra it was in....which is good news for my 2000 civic... yes? And one more tiny thing. The d series came out the car kinda tight .. We got binded up and had to set it down. And make it so the tranny side of the motor hung lower and thus gave us room. Is putting the gsr in going to be like this? Any tips? On a side note I'd like to say thanks for everyone a help.. Been a hell of a ride.. But I did this 95% myself and it feels really good to be almost there..if you guys think of anything else I should know.. Don't be afraid to tell me!! And finally a victory picture =)

laserbeak

Okay So im going to post some pictures here.. Im sorry if they are unclear or not concise...But I did my best to label them and ask exact questions..

So At first I thought it was the knock sensor then after some research i found out it was the CFK? or crank flucuation sensor? the one on the teg isnt long enough to meet the plug of the d series harness.. and it looks like i have to scalp this:

off of my d series motor..and extend my gsr wire to meet the correct plug.. yes?

moving on. here is the d series harness on the USDM gsr motor..the two wires (on left in photo below) I think need to be extended to to the vtec solenoid... and i need to scalp dizzy plug from gsr harness and replace this d series one.. yes..?:

Okay next question.. i got most of the harness on, but up on top of the manifold by the injectors..the one plug on the d series is located on the fuel rail.. this one is not...its further back.. is it okay just to cut the protective tubing the wires go through to lengthen to this denso solenoid..? the solenoid in question is to the right of my hand and the plug..(pic below)

Okay now the biggest problem or unknown here... First pic is under the manifold... Am i correct using the round grey plug ( to the left in this pic below) that comes off where the alternator power (the eye where u put a bolt thru it) and the green plug for Alternator ...? (pic below)

(talking about pic above) ^^ Now the object to the right with no round plug in it..This is what controls the butterfly valves yes? and i must scalp a plug and run that wire to a spot on my conversion harness.. and the other one to ground or 12v constant...? Im sure i can read up more on this just want to make sure its the right thing...

--------------------

but there is something else (pic below).. there is a plug on top of the manifold.. one if the denso(evap purge valve..?) that i reconize as the plug thats loomed in with the injector plugs (yes?) (shown in third pic down from the top of this post)... Directly to the right of that is this, is my IAT correct? I dont have any plug to plug into this...and ill tell you why... everything else fits perfectly...now one more round plug is left...along with what I believe to be the o2 sensor plug in? (pic below) You can see the two wires im talking about splitting into a y at the bottom left of pic... Other is for this plug( pic below ) on the power steering line (green plug in)...yes? so what goes in the IAT on top of the manifold?..

In the picture below here is the plug ( in the empty ex bay..that i feel like the grey round plug goes in to(pictured above)..?

and a picture of the two plugs im talking about (below).. the square like i said i believe is the o2 sensor plug in (the front o2).. and the other goes to the this green plug? so what goes to the IAT?

also do i have these wires right..(below).? u can see the harness in the back ground...but heres a better shot.. i labled stuff in here... just as a reference to talk about.. 1 is tps...yes.. 2 is IACV? and 3 is the two wires in question ive been talking about... I also have my gsrt throttle cable coming tomorrow...so im hoping to have it run tomorrow provided i get some help....Just all the wires fit.. everything is good under dizzy.. the one weird plug and regular grey square plug.. plugged in.. line coming from tranny plugged in...dizzy/and 2 vtech lines just dangling there waiting..the one plug that plugs into a sensor actually in the rubber stock ex intake is on the same line as the bigger round pluig that plugs into a sensor directly ontop of the throttble body... the one sensor under the intake manifold next to the butterfly sensor actuator..is plugged in with the grey round plug that ends with the knock sensor.. alternator plug and power wire eye(put the screw thru)..the one y in the back is o2 and power steering line plug(i think) and the other y comes up and plus into tps and iactv? yes? idk.. i tried to explain the best i could and provide pics,.,,,Thanks for all the help...``

and here is a pic (below) of wires under the distributer....just throwing it in for more stuff to look at =)

and a different angle of the back:

Thank you so much for all your help...But i need some more.. so I can be rippin this sweet swapped civic by saturday night. =)

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
If I had an OBD2 Honda I would go out and look and help ya.

Plug all the ones up you can and see what you get lol, You are going to have to cut your CFK plug off your d series and wire it in, no getting around that.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A much easier method of doing this, would have been to acquire an uncut B16 harness from an EM1. From what I recall, it's a direct plug and play (for 98% of the swap) to a B18C1, give or take some minor splicing. You're on the right path from what I gather, though. Good job seeing this through on your own! You will have a much more in-depth knowledge of your car in general after this. It's worth it.

laserbeak

If I had an OBD2 Honda I would go out and look and help ya.

Plug all the ones up you can and see what you get lol, You are going to have to cut your CFK plug off your d series and wire it in, no getting around that.
yeah problem is... I do that... put it in and it doesnt run right now im stuck trying to run the wiring harness or rerun it while motor is in car....on the good side of things just got back from acura, got a new gsr throttle cable..

Sigh rlly hope someone can chime in here..

laserbeak

just wish I could figure out what im doing wrong... like either one plug goes to to EACV or the IAT....I dont have enough plugs for both...? the only other round plug i see im 90% sure goes to the power steering fluid line as it is on the same wiring line as the o2 sensor im going to have to extend....I can see im guna have to do butterfly valves and im not worried about that... Am i plugging the round grey sensor that i think goes into the Knock sensor out of error and I have to make a knock sensor... does the IAT stay unplugged? just very confused and cant do anything till ii get an answer here..,.or one of my buddies come through (doubt that) seems like they avoiding this swap like the plague.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Maybe should of marked the plugs before hand

Im having trouble keeping up on your issues

What plugs do you have that don't seem to go anywhere.

Both engines should have

HARNESS CONNECTOR LIST:

•oil pressure sending unit
•knock sensor
•intake air temperature (intake manifold style)
•oxygen sensor
(primary 4 wire)
•alternator
•2 extra wires
•injector 1-4
•map
•tps
•idle control motor
•electronic speed sensor
•ground
•fan switch
•distributor
•h20 sending unit
(for gauge cluster)
•reverse lights
•engine coolant temp
•starter signal
•vtec solenoid`
•ecu plugs A,B,D
•power distribution cap

That is a list from a RYWIRE harness, I guess just go down the list and cross off the things you know you plugged in and what you can't figure out or what doesn't reach. I would think the only one that wont reach/work is the CFK plug because your civic didn't have one to begin with.

Oh and I think you will have to mess with your evap purge system, Im looking at that right now, but also could be wrong it might just all plug in.

laserbeak

Yeah I think I figured the mystery iat plug problem.. the gsr uses one just above the map sensor on the manifold...my civic is wired to use one on the intake rubber tube... so i drilled a hole in my intake... used some window weld and got the sensor position correctly... now im just lengthening wires.. slowly and carefully..so hopefully starting it tom!...hopefully..lol is the key word.. my first time.. i half expect it not to start... I still have to wire the butterfly valves and scald dizzy plug from gsr harness.. and wire in the tack feed to the ecu.. since/./ 99-00's used ecu for the tach and...prior used a wire from the dizzy....sigh,, cuz my ecu is a 97.. cuz original was 2000 and had IMM.. sighhh... but.. got my throttle cable today so thats good... will update with picture or MORE bad questions soon.. lol thanks for bearing with me.